Jerusalem

edjames
This topic is 4792 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Caught this last night. Another Tony-nom for actor Mark Rylance, who is fast becoming one of the best actors to watch. He takes command of the stage, and woe the poor actors who have to share scenes with him. He mops up the stage with his performance of Johnny "Rooster" Byron. Rylance not only acts the role but he transforms himself into his characters with body movement and voice. Based on a "true life story", Jerusalem revolves around the story of Rooster, who lives in a trailer in the middle of the forest near a small village in England. He is the town drug dealer and known for his outrageous and often violent behavior. His trailer has become the gathering place for many young people in the village. Now the village council is out to evict Rooster from his home. The play takes place in the last couple of days before the court ordered eviction takes effect. Although Rylance makes us believe that Rooster is a happy go-lucky kind of guy, deep down, Rooster is an evil man.

3 hours, so be prepared. 2 intermissions. Once again, Rylance will definietly have a Tony nom, but will his performance be enough to convicne Tony voters that he is better than Al Pacino? We'll see. A nice cast of actors, including Tony winner John gallagher from Spring Awakening and American idiot, help move the tale along, but once again, no one takes their eyes off Rylance when he's onstage. The audience jumped to their feet at curtain call.

ED

I was not a fan of Pacino's Shylock; I would put my money on Brian Bedford for IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST. Will let you know after I see Jerusalem next month. Best Actor is going to be the category to watch: Joe Mantello (NORMAL HEART), Brian Cox (CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON), Dan Lauria (LOMBARDI), James Earl Jones (A long shot but a sentimental favorite for DRIVING MISS DAISY), Tate Donovan (GOOD PEOPLE, which I really liked), Billy Crudup (ARCADIA), plus Robin Williams, Bobby Canavale, Ben Stiller. Finding only five is going to be hard for the nominators.

Best Actor is going to be the category to watch: Joe Mantello (NORMAL HEART), Brian Cox (CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON), Dan Lauria (LOMBARDI), James Earl Jones (A long shot but a sentimental favorite for DRIVING MISS DAISY), Tate Donovan (GOOD PEOPLE, which I really liked), Billy Crudup (ARCADIA), plus Robin Williams, Bobby Canavale, Ben Stiller. .

Sorry to disagree, but JOE MANTELLO is a DIRECTOR, not an actor, and he is not associated with Normal Heart. Joel Grey is the director. yes, some difficult choices ahead for the nominating committee, but nevertheless, Mark will be up there on it.

Sorry to disagree, but JOE MANTELLO is a DIRECTOR, not an actor, and he is not associated with Normal Heart. Joel Grey is the director. yes, some difficult choices ahead for the nominating committee, but nevertheless, Mark will be up there on it.

Sorry to correct you, but Joe Mantello is the lead of The Normal Heart; long before he directed Wicked, he was an accomplished actor, since his days at Circle Rep, culminating in his Tony nominated performance in the original production of Angels in America. Word is he's great in NH; I will let you know, as I am seeing it this weekend...

Jerusalem on Broadway

http://jerusalembroadway.com/connectwp/wp-content/themes/jerusalemv2/library/images/misc/jerusalemTitle.png

Priscilla has its bus and Jerusalem has its house trailer named "Waterloo". This is a very bazaar but intriguing play about the life of a man nicknamed "Rooster" played brilliantly by actor Mark Rylance. Rooster is an older man who enjoys partying (drugs/liquor) with young boys and girls. Good development of characters and their interactions.

During the 1st Act it appears that these youthful cast members enjoy hanging with Rooster but as the play develops you'll find out differently and, at the end, Rooster is alone.

The play begins unsuspectingly. The house lights are still on as "Phaedra" enters the stage dressed as an angel and begins singing the hymn "Jerusalem". The audience quickly quiets down as the 3 hour play begins.

The stage is made to look like a park setting. There is dirt and grass covering the entire stage floor. It's actually watered following the 1st Act. The trees are life like and there is the constant sound of birds chirping throughout the play. And, look for the rooster living under the trailer.

I have to admit I had problems following the dialogue of some cast members. The heavy English accent, sounding more Australian, makes you listen very attentively to the spoken words.

The outstanding performance turned in by Mark Rylance made the show one worth seeing.

Coop :cool:

I agree with Coop, this is a tour-de-force of a performance by Mark Rylance. It's a very English play...with many layers over it's 3 hours plus running time. The first act is mostly exposition, light and funny, which is needed because one has to become accustomed to the accents. Second act it starts getting darker and the third act is an impactful, angry confrontation between myriad characters and points of view.

The only way that Rylance will not win the Tony for this is if he is nominated against himself for La Bete, and then splits his own vote.

A tough show to describe, but I must recommend this to anyone who goes to the theater for provocative entertainment.

Saw it lask night. I agree that Mark Rylance's performance is extraordinary. John Gallagher, Jr., is great, too, although the character is a bit underwritten. In fact, most of the supporting cast is superb. My problem is with the play itself. Too long. Momentum sags in Act II. The author should do some pruning.... Either make it a two-acter with a longer intermission, or prune a bit from each act and make the second intermission a bit longer... It's too extended a sit as the plot gets darker and darker and the time stretches out. Last night's performance started about 7:05 and wasn't done until well past 10.

Archived