"Anything Goes"

beethoven
This topic is 4770 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thoroughly delightful! Easily the BEST musical on Broadway this year. Everything about this production: dancing, direction with just the right amount of silliness but rigidly professional, acting, new book, is just about perfect.

Since this is a Roundabout production, and it got a rave review in Friday's Times (one of the few times that Mr. Brantley and I agreed), this will be a tough ticket unless it's extended.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved it.

I saw Anything Goes at the April 16 matinee and it was just great. The ending number in the first act had amazing tap dancing by some very hot sailors. Another memorable number was Blow Gabriel Blow and was sung fantastically by Sutton Foster. I cannot see how this cannot win the Tony for Best Revival. A well deserved standing ovation was given by the audience when I was there.

Interesting side note - A DVD was released in March of the Colgate Comedy Hour 1954 production of Anything Goes starring Ethel Merman and Frank Sinatra. The show is cut down a lot so that it fits in the one-hour TV time slot but the musical numbers are outstanding. It is worth it to hear Ethel Merman belt them out. You can find the DVD on Amazon.com.

Archived