Fourth Stop - Brasilia - Therma Soho

12is12
This topic is 4798 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m proud to contribute something new to the collective body of knowledge accumulating in these forums, by putting Brasilia on the map.

I assume there’ve been no posts on this city – including nada in responses to my planning questions - because no one has been there. Well, I highly recommend to stop ignoring this city as a tourist attraction, especially if one is already on the way north, to Salvador (as I am) or to Manaus.

Brasilia is worth 24 hours. I suppose you all know it’s a modern city invented out of nothing and nowhere 50 years ago. It’s interesting to see the phenomena, and astounding to see the main ‘mall’ with innovative building designs and outdoors oversized sculptures. At the top of my list is a huge fountain – actually, a huge set of fountains in one pool – with water dancing, music and changing lights. Those with good memories might remember how I carried on about the water at Igaucu Falls… Do yourselves a favor and stop here, including a night stay to see part of the scene (including the fountain iluminada!) lit up.

If you do stop here, it won’t be for the sex. There are rumors about gay life here, but if it exists - it’s not in saunas. There’s a list of them on the web: some are closed, one is mixed, and almost certainly only one offers garotos. Therma Soho is located in SCS – Sector Commercial South, a five minutes walk from SHS – Sector Hotel South. Remember, everything here is pre-planned and orderly, including division between spheres of human activity. So if you do come here and want to use the sauna, stay at SHS (as I did, by coincidence).

http://www.gaygetter.com/g4/venues/thermassoho

The sauna is clean and well maintened, its public space about as big as 117’s main floor. Enterance is 25 $R; cabines are free, as well they should be given they’re actually the size of a single bed + place to enter and stand beside it. There’s a bar, smoking room, sauna, no dark room (though the webpage said there was one), and one upstairs space with two videos showing straight sex. Flash: those wanking in front of them weren’t garotos but clients! Actually, I liked this bar better than the one at 117: bartender spoke English, the music’s volume wasn’t overbearing, there were gay and hetero magazines to browse, and they offered free popcorn. But this is true only regarding facilities; this bar doesn’t come near to offering the eye candies at 117, or any other sauna I’ve been to.

I came in at 6:30. There were about 10 clients and 5 garotos, and it stayed thus for the hour I spent there. No great hunks, no dick flashing. Only one of them initiated contact, and reminded me twice later on. He wanted 40 $R, I said too much, and he immediately proposed 30. I later chose another guy, who repeated the same sequence. According to the time garotos disappeared into ‘cabines’ with some regulars I understood sessions are quickies of 15-20 minutes (which fits the room size and the price). That’s what I ended up doing, and the programa was ok+.

That’s what Brasilia has to offer sauna-wise. Not very enticing I guess, except for the price. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’d go lower. BUT, as mentioned above, do come to see the exceptional city mall.

Brasilia is the capital and has not been noted for its social components. I've been to its airport and have liked the architectual venues I've seen from the air. But I do not ever plan to travel there any longer than a day or perhaps two. I am awaiting to see what you have to share about my second favorite city in Brasil, Salvador (Bahia). I've been there twice for a sum total of 10 or 11 days but have "yet to go to any of its saunas."

When I was there, my complete stay was for its culture and history, etc. Although my bisexual professional guide invited me to take in its sauna experiences, I politely declined, for I was "saving myself and my limited funds" for that which existed in Rio de janeiro. I plan to return to Bahia for at least four days in October; if i do go there-- I will definitely "take in some of its sauna offerings" as well as reacquainting myself with the cultural and artistic attributes. I will also hire a professional tour guide, Fernando who has a super-great website. I've only heard positive things about his expertise, and I love his website:http://www.bahiaboybrazil.com

Brasilia is the capital and has not been noted for its social components. I've been to its airport and have liked the architectual venues I've seen from the air. But I do not ever plan to travel there any longer than a day or perhaps two. I am awaiting to see what you have to share about my second favorite city in Brasil, Salvador (Bahia). I've been there twice for a sum total of 10 or 11 days but have "yet to go to any of its saunas."

When I was there, my complete stay was for its culture and history, etc. Although my bisexual professional guide invited me to take in its sauna experiences, I politely declined, for I was "saving myself and my limited funds" for that which existed in Rio de janeiro. I plan to return to Bahia for at least four days in October; if i do go there-- I will definitely "take in some of its sauna offerings" as well as reacquainting myself with the cultural and artistic attributes. I will also hire a professional tour guide, Fernando who has a super-great website. I've only heard positive things about his expertise, and I love his website:http://www.bahiaboybrazil.com

This website is no longer available. I wrote to the webmaster on his Facebook page, and he directed that I/we go to http://www.salvadortourguide.com and/or to http://www.lgbtbahianguide.com.

12is12, if this is your first time to this city, I'd highly suggest that you have a guide. You might want to check out Fernando. Although I have never used his services but plan to in October, based on others' recommendations and suggestions, he'd be great for you in getting your barriers while in this city!

Axiom, I could surely use some guidance here. What did you do in Salvador 10 days? My impression from Lonely Planet is that a traveling tourist - unlike a vacationing one - can 'do' Salvador in 3 days at a slow pace. Please advise.

I tried contacting Fernando months ago, through his previous(?) website, but received no response. Doesn't seem responsible/professional not to connect the previous one to the current. Anyway, I'll try calling him tomorrow. His prices look steep, no?

Thanks for the tip.

Axiom, I could surely use some guidance here. What did you do in Salvador 10 days? My impression from Lonely Planet is that a traveling tourist - unlike a vacationing one - can 'do' Salvador in 3 days at a slow pace. Please advise.

I tried contacting Fernando months ago, through his previous(?) website, but received no response. Doesn't seem responsible/professional not to connect the previous one to the current. Anyway, I'll try calling him tomorrow. His prices look steep, no?

Thanks for the tip.

Just a quick note of thanks to you for your detailed reports from Brazil. Very interesting reading!

It's Sunday, the 20th of March 2011, and I am just getting here. While I was in Bahia, I tried to take in as much of the cultural attributes as possible during my 5days each on my two visits. My tour guide took me to a town that was about 1.5 hours away one day to explore. It was the most African of all of Brasilian towns, and he and I walked and went into venures and capped the day at a lovely restaurant, overlooking the town. for lunch.

--------Sorry about your misconnect with Fernando; his old website is the last one which I listed. When I alerted him of my troubles, he immediately answered me at FB. Try again.

Also, if you are able to hire him based on his fees, etc. that are at his site, I know that you can keep busy during your stay!

He also can orient you to the sauna scene there if you're slightly hesitant to do alone. I have yet to experience this component and plan to do so if I manage to get there in October!

Archived