411 Southern Africa

jawjateck
This topic is 4849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys! In the near future, I will travel to Southern Africa for two weeks. I will be in South Africa for most of the trip, but will have opportunity to travel to other nearby countries. It's not entirely a pleasure trip. I am traveling with a team from the charitable foundation I serve and support, but we will have some sight-seeing flexibility while there.

So, I am asking my fellow world travelers here for any tips on must-do adventures or must-see travel locales while I am there. This is my first trip to that part of our world, and I am really looking forward to a new experience.

Thanks for your insights, friends!

jjt

While in South Africa 9 years ago, I met a good-looking Dutch man with “I river rafted the Zambezi” T-shirt. Since I like river rafting and was going to Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls, I thought that would be a good side trip. It turned out to be the most fun day of the entire trip and truly felt like I was in Africa, even better than the safaris at Kruger. In fact, the entire time I was in that country I had a good time even though that country had plenty of problems even back then. I am pretty sure the tourist industry has been killed off now but adjoining countries could offer the same experience.

Capetown (and the surrounding area down to Cape Point) are amazingly beautiful -- IMO, a don't-miss destination. Safaris are terrific, too, but I'm reading into your post that you won't have the extended time necessary to do a proper safari, whereas you can get to Capetown easily and see much of what there is to see in a couple of days on a first trip. If your time is limited, there's no point in leaving South Africa.

Depending on where you will be much of the time, there are often excellent one day safaris. Some are on private "game farms" and others are in national parks, so check out the areas near where you are going to be staying. I was in Durban a couple of years ago and had a one day trip that was excellent, with almost all of the big wild game. I second the recommendation to go to Capetown and to Cape Point. It is a beautiful city... and has an especially warm atmosphere for gay guys. Enjoy your trip. It is a long flight, but I had a wonderful time when I was in SA and would love to go back.

Capetown (and the surrounding area down to Cape Point) are amazingly beautiful -- IMO, a don't-miss destination. Safaris are terrific, too, but I'm reading into your post that you won't have the extended time necessary to do a proper safari, whereas you can get to Capetown easily and see much of what there is to see in a couple of days on a first trip. If your time is limited, there's no point in leaving South Africa.

In 2002 I went to Jo'Burg and Cape Town and Sun City (...didn't like the latter at all; it was not the place for me.) and to Zimbabwe, but the highlight of my trip was being in Cape Town and enjoying this wonderful city along with its outer points! Do some reading on http://www.fordors.com as well as http://www.TripAdvisor.com. Purchase some outstanding guide books, but the company that is dear to me is DK Eyewitness Travel. I hope they publish one for Southern Africa or South Africa.

Because I liked Cape Town so much, I had thoughts about moving there.

Thanks for the comments guys! I will be in Zimbabwe for part of the trip, so the Falls will be on the "to do" list. CapeTown sounds like an awesome place to visit too! I look forward to reporting back after the trip and re-living the amazing experience of it.

Archived