Wednesday's "The VIew"

Samai139
This topic is 4827 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday The Ladies were discussing an Old Navy ad which featured a look-alike Kim Kardashian. What got my attention from the work I was doing on the computer, was this:

Whoopi Goldberg off-handedly said that Kim K. was NOT white--this in reference to another panelist saying something about white women being able to jump. Whoopi's remark was not picked up on by anyone and they went to break.

Not sure how to react to this. Was she joking? If not, what does she consider Kim Kardashian? Her ethnic background is Armerian, which is European the last time I looked. Any thoughts anybody??

After watching the clip three times, I'm not saying this is a certainty ... but it is a possibility ...

Whoopie never says that Kim isn't white. She said something like "it's good to know all women look alike". Joy then said, "you mean white women". Whoopie then commented, "she's not white". Is it possible that Whoopie was referring to the look-a-like and not Kim herself? When they showed a side by side of the two, the look-a-like's skin was a bit darker than Kim's.

You can then hear Sherri comment in the background that Kim is Armenian.

Perhaps Whoopie was not commenting on Kim's race, but the race of the look a like.

Greathands--

thanks for going to all the trouble of watching that clip THREE times!! You heard things I didn't her---ex: Sherri's response. I guess it's possible that Whoppi was referring to somebody else---it just a bizarre comment to make, no matter what she meant. I've seen the commercial since and I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider the "look-alike" to be non-white. But then maybe I need to see the ad again.

Maybe someday we'll all get beyond this "need" to classify people by race. The US Government could help by dropping that question from the census in 2020.

Samai ... I must confess that watching it the three times wasn't all difficult. I had it on my DVR, so it was must a matter of watching and rewinding a couple of times.

IF in fact she was referring to the look-a-like, I think her comment was actually a positive one ... because she would have been pointing out that women are alike regardless of race.

Archived