New York Theater Recommendations

body2body
This topic is 4877 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am going to be in New York City at the end of January. I have no plans except for an evening at New York City Ballet and an appointment with Romann before he returns to Chicago. Any suggestions for what to see? I've already seen "Next to Normal", "..Night Music", and "La Cage..". I normally pay attention to what is going on there, but except for Brian Bedford's turn as Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of Being Earnest" I don't have any clear idea idea of what I "must" see this trip. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

How about "Driving Miss Daisy" with Vanessa Redgrave and James Earl Jones or if you're still in town 2/1 or later "Merchant of Venice" with Al Pacino. Not too many musicals around at that time, except for the long runs, with all the current closings and not much new is opening between now and then. I would assume you've seen "Billy Elliott" but if not, that would be the musical to see. Again, an assumption on my part, but would presume you've seen Wicked, Jersey Boys, Phantom, Lion King by now if they interest you.

Guest BrandonWilliams

I'd recommend "Driving Miss Daisy." Although it does move at a rather slow pace, Vanessa Redgrave and James Earl Jones deliver an incredible performance. We can only hope that "Three Pianos" is extended again until the end of January, but I think that would be an act of God to make that happen; I'm absolutely kicking myself for missing it in November. There's just never enough time.

It is, as was said, a bad time for musicals. Spiderman is monopolizing all of the news these days! However, running to the end of January is "Time Stands Still" a drama starring Laura Linney, Brian Darcy James, Eric Bogosian and the surprisingly good Christina Ricci. I just saw it last week and it moved me and entertained me - not something you always get with many of the message plays.

Archived