Julie Taymor's Magic Flute

dfw2sfo
This topic is 4908 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone seen this production yet? I've never seen The Magic Flute and the Met is mounting a production but it has a few unusual elements. Julie Taymor (Lion King) is producing a more family friendly version (more bright shiny things) that is in English, is abridged (100 minutes vs 3+ hours). She has done this before and the reviews I've read didn't really like her staging. One additional selling point though is that Nathan Gunn is Papageno. Thoughts?

Buyer beware. I think I read it was a condensed version designed to attract holiday tourists with young children: not the real Die Zauberflote which only on the very first level of meaning could be considered a work for children. The Met's earlier productions by Chagall and even Hockney were pure magic and complete.

I wish The Met would bring back Hansel and Gretel or even consider Amhal and the Night Visitors for this market.

There! I'll get off the soapbox now.

Archived