Microsoft Updates Problem

Samai139
This topic is 4947 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I receive a red alert message box, telling me to install updates, but I click on the Install button, and it takes me to the site, I get a further message telling me that I have to install something, whose exact name I have forgotten---somnething like actiflex??? or something similar. To do this, I'm told to right click on the site, which is directly below the address site. Well, I've looked and looked and right clicked everything I see, and the required install box, does not appear.

Can anyone help this computer idiot figure out what I'm doing wrong? Does it have something to do with my free viruns protection? AVG

Thanks for any help.

I just restored my pc to its "out of the box state". I'm running IE 8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP (service pack 3). Windows update worked fine, but Office Update appears to indeed have been replaced by Microsoft Update. Going there, I get the ActiveX error situation Samai describes, with the suggestion I "search for this add-on via default third party search provider". My whole goal here is to secure my pc; running an executable from an unknown outside source in order to do so seems to directly contradict that aim. And worse, I've tried it twice to no avail.

Kevin Slater

Thanks to all who replied. It's encouraging to know that I am not the only one having this problem. I haven't tried the Windows Update site today, but last night when I shut down my computer, several updates were installed :)) So I guess I am getting updates installed.

If I have any further developments/solutions, I'll post them.

Thank goodness there is a site like this where problems can be posted and suggestions are offered, not just Microsoft gobblydegook and links to websites which do not answer the problem.

Thanks again.

Archived