Scottsboro Boys

skynyc
This topic is 4929 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw the first preview of this on Thursday at the Belasco Theater.

I went with two friends, and we were very divided. I think this is a pretty remarkable and in-your-face look at this very unpleasant chapter of American history. One of my friends felt it was "what he expected", in it's treatment of a sensitive subject. My other friend didn't care for it, and wouldn't explain more than that.

The score is pure Kander and Ebb, with songs reminiscent of numbers from Cabaret, Chicago, even 70, Girls, 70.

The cast is terrific...in tact from the production at the Vineyard this spring, with the exception of the leading young man, whom you will recognize as the "American Hero" from American Idiot. And the production fits perfectly in this classic old theater which probably played host to real minstrel shows at times back in the early 20th Century. In fact, having lost some of the intimacy of the Vineyard, helped give the subject matter some distance.

Some of the show might offend, but that's okay; it's meant to. And as such, it may have a hard time finding an audience. People will either love it or hate it...so see it with someone that you can discuss it afterwards.

It opens at the end of the month, with an open run, and there are lots of discounts out there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this Saturday night and loved it. Standing Ovation, unlike many shows today, did not seem forced, but very quick and spontaneous. Only caveat, I'm slightly arthritic and sat in the mezzanine. My knees were "screaming get me outta here" and its not that long a show and I'm not that tall. If you are a 6 footer or more orchestra only. Discounts available thru Playbill, NYTimes and several other sites, and its been on TKTS a lot.

Archived