A Life in the Theater...in brief

skynyc
This topic is 4936 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

And a quick review of another show I saw this weekend...David Mamet's A Life in the Theater with Patrick Stewart and T.R. Knight.

90 minutes, with no intermission, and easily 12 minutes of it was watching the scene changes while the two actors changed costumes. There were some good laughs, but I don't think this is going to be very well received. The two performers are both terrific, the show just seemed pretty lightweight...and the very slow set moving between the thirty or so little vignettes destroyed any pacing.

Playing at the Schoenfeld thru 1/2/11, this show is on tdf...and has a number of ticket offers. I don't think that I could recommend it if I had paid full price, but to see Patrick Stewart live on stage was, for me, definitely worth $35.

I've read the script and agree with skynyc that it is "lightweight". The play is a Mamet show that played off-Broadway about 20 years ago but was not moved to Broadway. The backer hope that the stars plus Mamet's name will sell tickets for the short run. I know one of the backers and have been given a ticket for opening night and an invitation to a party after the show! For free, I thought I could spend the 90 minutes, see the stars and go to an opening night party.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from seeing the play. Stewart and Knight are both great actors. The play itself - not so great. It started off good and had some good lines and scenes throughout, but the constant scene changes were annoying. Also, the jokes grew old. I was actually checking my watch.

Now, I have to admit something I shouldn't. I now have a crush on T R Knight. I'm sure it will go away in the morning, but he's really cute in an aw shucks kind of way. I know little about him? He's not that much younger than me, so that's good. Does he have a boyfriend?

Maybe I'll see the play again.

I found it a nice, light evening. Patrick Stewart was very good. Very much "in" thrater jokes and references. Script was very light weight and as posted, just a series of sketches; it was a weak script. 90 minutes with no intermission so not too long of a evening. I found TR Knight "cute"; do not know anything about him but he was good in the role of the young actor.

As I posted earlier, I got to go for free so I can not complain. I will find out how it is doing financially and report back.

Archived