Advice on Hotels in Rio

12is12
This topic is 4969 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi guys,

Since Drey at gaytravelbrazil isn't responding, I'll post the question here. Is it a good idea to stay at a hotel in the Centro-Cinelandia area, between 117 to the south and MM to the north? While this will put me near these saunas, I read that the area is both boring and dangerous, especially during the weekend...

BTW, I think I read somewhere that MM and 202 are near each other, but 202 is way south in Copacabana....

Also, why is MM missing from the list of saunas in the riogayguide?

Thanks

Guest dreynsol

Sorry, I don't recall getting your e-mail at info@gaytravelbrazil.com

But anyways, I have stayed at a hotel in Gloria a couple of blocks from 117. The area is pretty safe there but I wouldn't stay near MM.

The hotels are older and have very strict visitation policies, but the Cinelandia/Gloria area does have its charm.

Be glad to chat some more.

- Drey

There are some decent hotels in Catete, near the metro stop and the Museu da Republica. Look into the Florida, or the Novo Mundo. You can walk to 117 from those hotels. There are restaurants in the area and people on the streets after dark. Downtown is kind of deserted after dark, except for Lapa, but there aren't really any hotels there. There are also some hotels in Gloria, walking distance to the restaurants in Catete and to Lapa/Cinelandia. There really isn't much near MM.

Guest dreynsol

The Villa Rico

Nope, didn't get your PM either, but I e-mailed you.

I've got a little more time to respond now, but there's a lot more information at the site. I believe you also posted about Carnaval next year, and I've got some videos from my last trip I'm getting ready to post.

One thing to be aware of is that some of the less expensive hotels used to be "love motels", or basically rent-by-the-hour type establishments, that have been spruced up a bit. The Villa Rica is one of those and it does have an ideal location being a couple of blocks from 117 and also a couple of blocks from Lapa. There's also a Metro station near 117 where you can easily reach other parts of the city, including Copacabana and Meio Mundo. The room was a little disappointing with curling wallpaper, dirt in the corners that have probably gone unnoticed for years, and a big mirror on the ceiling. But it did have a big hot tub in the room. But also on the negative side, a large sign saying "No Guests Allowed".

We have also recommended the Presidente which is in Centro for budget-minded members. It was a very modern hotel back in the day I hear, and I guess my sense is that many of the hotels in Centro and surrounding areas were built in the 30s-40s, Copacabana the 50s-60s, and Ipanema probably the 80s-90s.

And yes, Meio Mundo is a bit of a haul from Pointe 202, although 7 or 8 subway stops away probably. As long as you're near a subway stop (Metro) it's pretty easy to quickly get around the city.

So, if your choice of a place to stay is just based on location, it's not much of an issue in Rio. But, I would return to that area, more so, for the museums and cultural aspects that it has to offer.

Restaurants are less expensive there, as is shopping so that's a plus.

Hope that helps,

- Drey

Archived