Charles Busch in "The Devine Sister" Off Broadway

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg
This topic is 4961 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

Charles Busch in "The Divine Sister" Off Broadway

The review by Robert Feldberg at northjersey.com suggests this is a rip-roarin' time.

Does any one have tickets or plans to see?

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae139/DuchessIvanaKizznhugg/Humour/CharlesBusch.jpgWhen Charles Busch is on his game, no one generates more laughs per minute. And that means that at "The Divine Sister," one of his funniest shows in years, you'll hear 90 minutes of non-stop chuckles, chortles, whoops and howls.

As both playwright and female impersonator, Busch has always been at his best spoofing movie genres, going back to such early classics as "Vampire Lesbians of Sodom" and "Psycho Beach Party."

In "The Divine Sister," which opened Wednesday night at the Soho Playhouse, he seems to incorporate every nun movie ever made, while also giving a nod to "The Da Vinci Code" – it seems Jesus had a sister, Joyce, whose remains are buried in Pennsylvania.

Busch portrays the Mother Superior of St. Veronica's, a convent and school in Pittsburgh where dark secrets are rampant.

A former hotshot girl reporter, the Mother Superior likes to sing a happy tune, accompanying herself on the guitar. Titled "La La La," the song recounts the fate of martyred nuns. ("St. Eunice was nailed to a pine door, St. Blandina was munched by a wild boar.")

Her past returns in the form of an ex-boyfriend (Jonathan Walker), now employed by a movie studio, who wants to make a film about Agnes (Amy Rutberg), a postulant who sees holy visions (most recently, the face of St. Clare in an underwear stain).

The convent's nuns include the Teutonic and mysterious Sister Walburga (Alison Fraser), who wears black gloves and has just arrived from the Mother House in Berlin, and Sister Acacius (Julie Halston), the school's athletic director, who knows things she hopes never to reveal.

There's also a wealthy Jewish woman (Jennifer Van Dyck) with a mansion the Mother Superior hopes she'll donate for a new convent and school; an elderly cleaning woman (Fraser) who provides a hilarious sight gag that I won't give away; and a young male student (Van Dyck) with a dilemma: He wants badly to befriend the school's star athlete. ("I like the pretty way his hair falls across his forehead.")

Under direction by Carl Andress that perfectly captures Busch's antic spirit, all the play's strands – which include not one, but two illegitimate children placed in orphanages in the distant past, and a violent gag reflex passed down from mother to daughter – come together, more or less.

But the greatest pleasure is in the individual scenes: the stream of jokes and gags and the bravura acting, which is over the top but always under dramatic control.

Busch is a master of the exaggerated take and baleful stare, and he's terrifically supported here, especially by Fraser, known mostly for her musical performances, who proves a delightful comic in two very different roles, and Halston, a long-time Busch collaborator, giving an acting lesson in how to silently convey extreme sexual frustration.

"The Divine Sister" – which is actually quite respectful of religious faith – provides about as much fun as you can have in a theater. When they talk about a laugh riot, this is it.

Sounds like a fun evening!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen several Charles Busch plays in the past and the most they ever made me do was smile. I don't ever remember laughing. I guess it's just me but I always find his plays sort of flat. I'm glad he's been successful but I always walk out feeling kinda disappointed. I'll pass on this one. I had enough nuns in 8 years of Catholic school to last me a lifetime. None of the nuns were ever funny to me.

Archived