Christmas is coming . . .

g56whiz
This topic is 4990 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Excuse me for switching subjects Callas fans, but I'm looking for some guidance. Many years ago, perhaps thirty, I received a Deutsche Grammaphon tape of Christmas music that was a compendium of many artists in many genres. It had some Corelli Christmas concerti, Stille Nacht on a guitar, a hurdy gurdy number, perhaps a Mannheim Steamroller piece, carols in the simplest, unaccompanied four part arrangements and a few obligatory pieces from Messiah and Bach's Weihnachts Oratorio. I played that tape over and over for decades. The memory of it and of the gift enrich my life. I eventually wore it out and have lost track of it. For several years I tried to find a copy perhaps in a different format. I'm still looking. If you have a clue where to search, please pass it on. I note that the Deutsche Grammaphon website has another yet to be detailed compendium CD of Christmas music coming out October.

But I have another idea. I'm thinking of putting together my own compendium of Christmas music from cuts I can get from the iTunes store and others sources. I know I want to include much of the same wide assortment as found on that earlier tape. I'd also include some of the accapella Christmas Carols from that early Robert Shaw Chorale recording and maybe one of the Poulenc Christmas motets.

My question is what would you include on such a collection?

b/t/w I once met Mr Shaw and asked him, in view of the technological advances in recording, why he didn't re-record that album. He looked at me with a sort of sentimental far away look in his eye and said that never in his life could he ever expect to duplicate the magic of that day at the nightclub where that was recorded.

I know of no Callas Christmas recordings... so...

Excuse me for switching subjects Callas fans, but I'm looking for some guidance.

I would include from Messiah the chorus "For unto us a child is born" and the long version of the "Pifa" (aka Pastoral Symphony). I also recall an LP of Joan Sutherland singing Christmas carols that included a quasi Handelian arrangement of "Joy to the World" that was quite effective. The Arcangelo Corelli "Christmas Concerto" is quite beautiful as well so I would want to include that... and speaking of Corelli... Franco Corelli that is... he recorded some Christmas carols... and I especially remember his version of "Adeste Fidelis" being beyond thrilling.

For a pop compilation I would include "Feliz Navidad" and "Grandma got run over by a reindeer"...

No Nutcracker please!!!!!

My question is what would you include on such a collection?

I like folk and jazz as well as classical at Christmas.

Favorite singles, folk

"Hayo, Haya" Peter Paul and Mary

"O Come, O Come Emmannel" Joan Baez

"Mary's Boy Child" Harry Belafonte

Not Christmas, but exceptionally moving religious from "Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall" (import, 1959): "Take My Mother Home"

Jazz for Christmas is a mixed bag, but you can not go wrong with Christmas albums by Ella Firgerald, Frank Sinatra and Peggy Lee.

I wish Cassandra Wilson would record a Christmas album.

One of my absolute all time Christmas favorites and it's so absolutely positively hysterical is "The Twelve Days After Christmas" Written By Lloyd Pfautsch. If I remember he was at the U. of Houston at the time. Here's a clip of the L.I. Gay Men's Chorus doing it to give you a feel:

For my taste, they camp it up WAAAAY too much. If you play this "as writ" it will have them rolling in the aisles because it is so completely unexpected. I've seen serious college choirs include it at the end of their Christmas concerts and it is to die for. I did it many many times and loved every single time. But you have to play it, for lack of a better word, straight. If the audience doesn't know the piece, it's almost an ambush performance art.

I haven't found a great recording yet, but I know what I want to hear in my head.

Archived