Warning!!! Warning!!! A virus alert!! It is going around -- and i've seen it!!!

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 5027 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sorry to hijack the board but I wanted to warn everyone about a virus we had going around my company this afternoon. The header is titled "Here You Have". It contains an attachment". Opening the file doesn't cause the problem, but clicking on the attachment starts really bad things. It grabbed our company directory and started send the same file to everyone in the company. It then started deleting files on the person who opened the file in the first place's computer, starting with the virus protection products (of course). Everyone got hundreds of copies of this. Our IT department had to shut off our mail server so no email, internal or external was available. Mind you, I work for a Fortune 500 company with a lot of smart people who really should know better than to open files like that. But since the email appeared to come from a fellow co-worker (that's why they grabbed the employee directory), some people were too trusting.

This is not a joke, and I am not pulling your leg. If you get this, delete the file from your in-box and recycle bin. If you get it at your office, call your IT personnel immediately. Now back to our regularly scheduled fun. Sorry for the interruption.

This is actually a real honest to god "Worm" in the wild. First one since about 2001: Slashdot Article

Sorry to hijack the board but I wanted to warn everyone about a virus we had going around my company this afternoon. The header is titled "Here You Have". It contains an attachment". Opening the file doesn't cause the problem, but clicking on the attachment starts really bad things. It grabbed our company directory and started send the same file to everyone in the company. It then started deleting files on the person who opened the file in the first place's computer, starting with the virus protection products (of course). Everyone got hundreds of copies of this. Our IT department had to shut off our mail server so no email, internal or external was available. Mind you, I work for a Fortune 500 company with a lot of smart people who really should know better than to open files like that. But since the email appeared to come from a fellow co-worker (that's why they grabbed the employee directory), some people were too trusting.

This is not a joke, and I am not pulling your leg. If you get this, delete the file from your in-box and recycle bin. If you get it at your office, call your IT personnel immediately. Now back to our regularly scheduled fun. Sorry for the interruption.

Slashdot Article[/url]

Thanks Daddy. I've been tryiing to look for tech sites articles without too much success. We got hit about 2:30 or 3:00 this afternoon Eastern time. Within minutes we got hundreds of emails as people opened the file and everyone got an email from everyone who opened it. It took IT about 20 minutes to figure out what was going on before they shut down the server. They have hundreds of infected machines now to cleanup all over the company at God knows how many sites in God knows how many states. But in our group we were just sitting there praying with everying fiber of our being that we would see the name of a senior executive on one of the emails. Never came, but we were promising first born children, vacation homes, you name it. And that's who I work with. Again thanks for the confirmation.

We saw the same virus at our company this afternoon, about 2-3:30 EDT. We were getting 3 copies of the email from each different name, but I think it had a link rather than an attachment.

Hey seeker, out of curiousity, do you work for a big company, medium sized or small firm? Just wondering. Since mine is Fortune 500 I know it hit a big one.

Large multinational pharmaceutical company.

Thanks. I just saw a report that it hit Disney, AIG, and other biggies too. Norton's website says their software has been updated to protect against it. I can hardly wait for tomorrow to see what our IT security people and LAN Field services people do. They're probably out drinking heavily tonight. I know I would be.

Archived