Met HD tickets on sale

Guest alanm
This topic is 4991 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Met HD theater tickets are on sale for performances theough early December as of today.

I was able to purchase a ticket for the Satur., Oct. 9th performance of "Das Rheingold," which I believe is sold out at the Met.

Too bad the spring performance of "Die Walkiure" is not also on sale today.

I am trying a theater in the Plymouth Meeting mall for the first time. In Philadelphia, I am always the youngest person in the theater in my four or five visits. and believe me, I am not that young :)

I was able to purchase a ticket for the Satur., May 14th performance of "Die Walkure" as well -- again by buying a ticket outside of Philadelphia. It may be that the two theaters in Philadelphia that show the Met HD live telecast are having welsite problems because of the high demand. Both "Rheingold" and "Walkure" are new productions, almost sure to sell out fast in HD theaters that show Met broadcasts. Tickets are $22 each.

I suggest you visit the Metropolitan Opera website and buy at least one or two tickets for HD telecasts in Boston or the Boston area (Framingham perhaps). If the theater is already sold out, that tells you a lot. If you are successful in purchasing the tickets then call the theater, and ask how far ahead you should buy tickets for other HD broadcasts.

My guess is the demand for tickets in Philadelphia and Boston is about the same.

I suggest you visit the Metropolitan Opera website and buy at least one or two tickets for HD telecasts in Boston or the Boston area (Framingham perhaps). If the theater is already sold out, that tells you a lot. If you are successful in purchasing the tickets then call the theater, and ask how far ahead you should buy tickets for other HD broadcasts.

My guess is the demand for tickets in Philadelphia and Boston is about the same.

Thanks for the great advice. I will call for tickets and see what happens. I never expected there to be any demand!

You may have saved me some disappointment.

Hey Rich & Alarm -- thanks for the heads up. I really do think it's market-dependent. Where I am I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that either will sell out. When they did T&I a couple of years ago, the theater was probably less than 1/2 full and it really wasn't that big of a theater. And like you, I was about the youngest person there. And our local opera company is doing Walkure shortly before the Met as well so that may tap the interest as well -- we'lre kind of (well a lot) provincial down here. Now in Philly & Boston there's probably a bigger draw. I think Sarah Caldwell (talk about a blast from the past) did some Wagner in Boston so there may be a bigger base in Boston.; Plus you've got like 150 conservatories in Boston. And in Philly you got all the students at AVA who will have to go and the faculty and everything. And the Philadelphia "It can't be a street corner without a college" system is in place too. The Plymouth Meeting Mall is a nice mall. I was there a few weeks ago.

After a class this afternoon I walked over to the the nicest theater in the city (near the University of Pennsylvania) to understand why the theater was completely sold out for Met HD telecasts, as I had been told on the phone by the Met ticket services department. In fact, the theater's computer system has been down for several days.

Only four HD broadcasts are sold out, so I bought tickets for two operas I was somewhat interested in --- Nixon in China and Iphigenie En Tauride. It not a good situation when you have to actually visit the theater to buy tickets (phone calls to the theater just give you the film times). It demonstrates that the Met still has some work to do on the HD telecasts.

Maybe I should move to an interesting city in the south without a major college/university.

Maybe I should move to an interesting city in the south without a major college/university.

My God alarm, you've got more oxymorons going on in that one sentence than I even know where to start with (I know all my southern brethren are going to kill me. I've lived here 25+ year. Maybe by the time my great, great great grandkids have great, great, great grandkids they won't be considered carpetbaggers -- welcome to my world). Interesting city in the south? Major College in the South? Interesting city with a major college? Military intelligence? Jumbo Shrimp? War of Northern Agression?

I live in Laredo TX and saw Armida last May at our local HD broadcast theater. The demographics were interesting. There were perhaps 20 in a theater that seats several hundred. There were several other men but I was the only one unaccompanied. I also suspect from the intermission chit chat that I was the only one who spoke no Spanish at all (most native Gringos are bilingual). The fascinating thing I noted from the license plates leaving the parking lot is that perhaps half the audience had dared the violence in our sister city of Nuevo Laredo to attend the performance. Brave ladies of a certain age they.

Archived