Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited to add: Delicate mixed household? As far as I know, there are no women there. Is Opus (that's the penguin) referring to himself?

Opus's resorting to typo-ellipses when speaking in front of Binkley makes me think 'delicate mixed' just meant his embarrassment at having to discuss erections with a child in the room.

Opus's resorting to typo-ellipses when speaking in front of Binkley makes me think 'delicate mixed' just meant his embarrassment at having to discuss erections with a child in the room.

Good point. I was only looking at the visual representation, not the auditory one. I remember the ruckus when Opus asked what a woman who'd had breast enhancement surgery was growing: melons?

Also, anyone who knows Binkley's name must be a Bloom County fan. I salute you, sir!

I couldn't think of a better place to put it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/08/30/tim-tebow-workout-mlb-scouts/89589422/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/cad1620e27d8528b74ba436dee930b6cd83a21da/c=0-4-868-1161&r=183&c=0-0-180-240/local/-/media/2016/08/30/USATODAY/USATODAY/636081666649951062-TebowWaterbreak.jpg

He could play on my team. Check out that body. :)

~ Boomer ~

Loved these, but shouldn't #14 be 1000 kg of falling figs = 1 fig newton?

Apparently not. Wikipedia says One newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in direction of the applied force.

But someone better versed in physics should probably answer.

Apparently not. Wikipedia says One newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in direction of the applied force.

But someone better versed in physics should probably answer.

Technically not but close enough, and as I said yesterday in another context, that's beside the point, it's a joke. If you aren't aware that a newton is a measure of force, it's easy to focus on the ton part (it would be tonne in SI, but who's looking at that). If the figs are falling the force in question would be gravity which causes an acceleration of 9.8m/s² not 1m/s². Even that much explanation is too much.

it would be tonne in SI, but who's looking at that

I think that's just the difference between US and British Commonwealth spelling. Sorry, but we spell it ton (metric ton), liter, meter, and so on. Just because the spelling is tonne in a larger number of countries doesn't make it wrong. There's also simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese characters. The latter is written in more countries, but since China (by far the most populous country) uses simplified, that's what's usually taught.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/metric+ton

Edited by Unicorn

Yes, I know how people in the US spell those words, my comment on tonne was on the same level as the rest of the petty points I made about the fig newton joke (we don't even have fig newtons here but I got the point). In Australia we wouldn't refer to metric tons (or metric tonnes) because the term would always mean 1000kg here, not 2240lb, we would just write tonnes. When I was learning Chinese I always used simplified characters (I was lazy) and I know they are used in the PRC but not ROC or Hong Kong [Xiang Gang in Mandarin] (and they only affect writing, not speaking, so no one speaks in simplified characters).