Last Chance - South Pacific

skynyc
This topic is 5009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just a quick reminder that the Lincoln Center Production of this closes on Sunday. Of the five principles, four of the original cast are back/or have never left...Kelli O'Hara, Paulo Szot, Loretta Ables Sayre and Danny Burstein.

The show is being recorded for Great Performances/Live From Lincoln Center on Wednesday night, but if you haven't seen it live, treat yourself. Broadwaybox.com and Playbill.com both have offers, but I don't know what ticket availability still is.

I am so thankful to read your post about taping the SOUTH PACIFIC revival.

I had second row center mezzanine seats for the Los Angeles run but wasn't able to go as I was in the hospital. What a blessing this will be to be able to see it. My only other alternative is to see the touring company that will play Orange County in October and I am not sure how close that will be in production values and performance.

...My only other alternative is to see the touring company that will play Orange County in October and I am not sure how close that will be in production values and performance.[/color][/size][/font]

A few months ago I saw this play in SF and I believe it was the touring company. It was fantastic!! Although I saw this show on stage during it's first run (many, many years ago), it was wonderful seeing it again.

Really looking forward to the "Great Performance" broadcast.

I regret that I missed this as South Pacific is one of the few classic Broadway shows that I actually like... Plus, I have always enjoyed Bartlett Sher's work. I hope that my local PBS station will be carrying it... but given their past history I won't be holding my breath...

Although I saw this show on stage during it's first run (many, many years ago), it was wonderful seeing it again.

That's really interesting. I was sitting next to an older woman when I saw "South Pacific" two years ago. We talked at intermission. It turned out that she was a contract player for Richatd Rodgers and was in the original Broadwaty companies of "Annie Get Your Gun," "South Pacific," "The Sound of Music" "Do I Hear A Waltz?" and "Jennie." I believe her name in Bernice Saunders. She loved this version of "South Pacific," and seemed to like the leads as much as the iconic original stars from the late 1940s/early 1950s,

I actually remembered to record this for future viewing as I am unable to view it uninterrupted. However, I just caught the end of "Some enchanted evening"... The final phrases were sung in a soft falsetto with diminuendo on the final note... quite different from the traditional ending.

I wonder if there will be some other surprises along the way.

Now I get it...

...The final phrases were sung in a soft falsetto with diminuendo on the final note...
At the conclusion of the Act the same phrase on the words "never let her go" was sung in full voice in the traditional manner... which made it all the more effective...

Beautiful

I am so grateful to the original poster of this thread. I was able to set the record function on my TiVo just before I went back into the hospital last week. The night I got home from the hospital this week, we were able to cue it up and watch it. I am sure it wasn't the same as seeing it in person and true the Los Angeles touring production didn't have the fore-stage pullback to reveal the huge orchestra, but it was beautiful to watch none the less.

Archived