premature logoff problem -- please fix

newatthis
This topic is 5049 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Every once in a while I'm away from the MC for a few days and come back to find 4-5 pages of new posts -- that is, I log in, click "new posts", and read everything that's new since my last visit.

And every once in a while, on one of those 4-5 pages, I find a thread that has attracted a large number of long and interesting replies.

While I'm reading that thread, at some point the MC software automatically logs me off (10 minutes? 15 minutes? surely not more than that). And when I log in again, everything that was "new" at my first login has been marked as "read", whether or not I got around to reading it or not.

Isn't there some parameter in the software that can be set to prevent this? Or perhaps a user option: log me off automatically only after (insert time period here)?

You presume correctly. But if it will solve the problem, I can check it, since firefox will eliminate all new cookies when closed anyway. The next time I see a long and interesting thread, I'll try it and report back.

It occurs to me that perhaps just doing a proper search ("all posts since [date]" if that's possible) would be a viable workaround. Have to see if that's possible.

Thanks, deej.

...It occurs to me that perhaps just doing a proper search ("all posts since [date]" if that's possible) would be a viable workaround. Have to see if that's possible...

I checked advanced search. It has almost what I want. There's an option to search for all posts since yyy and newer, where yyy can be (choices relevant to me) "my last visit", "yesterday", or "a week ago." Ideal for my situation would be an option "since [specific date]" or "[number of days] ago, " since yesterday is usually too soon, and a week ago returns more posts than I need. But I could live with that.

Archived