MAC OS - 10 versus 9.2

FrancoDiSantisxxx
This topic is 7968 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I recently purchased an Ibook for travel, one of the new models with a DVD/CD burner, so I can start to enter the new era, but I am having problems with both CLASSIC mode and especially with System X. I was previously using 8.5 on my desk top (still do, frankly).

I was also wondering if other people like Opera as a browser. It seems to work fine except with certain sites but I refuse to use IE and Netscape has too many bugs in the two newest editions.

I am also looking for a way to use Instant Answer in AOL for System X (it is similar to the auto response feature built into the Windows versions). The "smart" tech support people insist that the new Beta version of AOL will incorporate this feature (and also insisted the version I have resident on my lap top does, but of course, they are sadly mistake. After being a beta tester for AOL 5.0, I am reluctant to do so again, particularly as in this instance it would affect my ability to make a living.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

I switched to a titanium g4 laptop recently from years of dells. I have had an imac however for video editing and other graphics intensive stuff. I've been using 9.2 on the imac dv and OSX is on the new laptop.

I've found that OSX is only good if the app is written for OSX. Carbonized in mac lingo. In OSX it will go into classic mode if you launch a classic app. However, sometimes these apps work, sometimes not. Photophop 6 definately has some issues opening up in the classic emulation mode.

The best thing to do is to boot up in 9.2 if you want to use an old app and OSX if you are using a new one. You boot up in 9 by going to the System Preferences (in OSX) and then StartUp Disk. It will give you a choice of which you want to boot in. Want to boot up from 9.2 to OSX go to the startup disk in the Apple pulldown menu in the top left corner. It'll give you the choice to boot up in 10.

Opera is FAST. That's my take on it. But it doesn't do much. On the other hand Mozilla has a lot of handy features, Tabs is the best of those. Multiple windows that you can tab back and forth between instead of opening up muliple windows.

But Mozilla's Java plug in is not working properly, and Flash runs VERY slow on Mozilla. My open source friends swear it'll all be ironed out in the next release. But I like flash sites to work when I go to them, not to have to switch back to IE when I want to view flash.

But multiple browsers on one machine works just fine. So, install away and test them out.

One thing that you might be interested in is a AirPort ( or WiFi pronounced why fie) card for your machine. Almost all starbucks and most airports (the kind with planes) have wireless internet for a fee now. It's about $30 bucks a month local and $50 bucks for all over the US. , which is probably what you want. And all you have to do is open your ibook up and zing, the internet is right there. No wires.

emil lime

There are 10 kinds of people in this world....those who understand binary and those who don't.

First of all, AOL 10.2 is out and is no longer beta. I'm not much of an aol user, but I've played with it and it looks great. I can't comment on the features you mention because I don't use them much.

I've been running OS X on my Cube since X came out and on my tiBook when I acquired it at the beginning of the year. I always boot into X. I have Classic startup automatically on the Cube where I have lots of RAM. On the tiBook, where I have 320 MB of RAM, I only start Classic as needed. And the only time I need it is to play some old games I really like.

It's really a good idea to install X on a separate partition than 9. I reformated the tiBook right after I got it just to do so. It seems to run faster and Classic seems more stable. I liked it so much I reformated an external HD I got for the Cube and I really like it.

For disk utilities, use Disk Warrior. It's the best. You have to boot off the CD which only has 9.2, but that's no big deal. It repairs X. On all of my original installs of X it found 35% of files were out of place and optimized it. This is on a brand new installation!

(God, I sound like the geek I am, don't I?)

Next time I'm in Palm Springs, maybe we'll get together and we'll talk Mac--as well as other things.

}>

>I recently purchased an Ibook for travel, one of the new

>models with a DVD/CD burner, so I can start to enter the new

>era, but I am having problems with both CLASSIC mode and

>especially with System X. I was previously using 8.5 on my

>desk top (still do, frankly).

>

I am surprised you are having problems other than just getting used to system 10 -- I've been using it for 6 months now and love it--it's so much more stable than 9.2 or any of the PC systems--so forget about 8.5 and go work with 10 until you get it down--you'll be glad you did.

>I am also looking for a way to use Instant Answer in AOL for

>System X (it is similar to the auto response feature built

>into the Windows versions). The "smart" tech support people

>insist that the new Beta version of AOL will incorporate

>this feature (and also insisted the version I have resident

>on my lap top does, but of course, they are sadly mistake.

>After being a beta tester for AOL 5.0, I am reluctant to do

>so again, particularly as in this instance it would affect

>my ability to make a living.

I've been beta testing the new aol for osx for over a month and it works great--I haven't used the "smart" feature you've mentioned so can't address that issue, but if you are worried about the beta messing up, download the beta on sys 10 IN ADDITION TO your old version 5-- on system 9.2 or (uggh) 8.5.

By the way, you got a great computer--congrats.

Flower :*

Guest Kalifornia

>

>

>Any comments, suggestions, ideas would be GREATLY

>appreciated. Thank you!

If you purchaed this less than 30 days ago, return it in and get a notebook with WinXP. You wouldn't have all these questions if you do :)

Mark -Kalifornia

Archived