Thailand trip plans

TerryP
This topic is 5040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As it will soon be three years since my first visit to Thailand, I have already started planning my next trip for this coming December or January. Last time, I visited Bangkok, Koh Samui, and Chiang Mai. I would like to solicit some comments and opinions on some different places to visit for the next trip.

I'm hoping to have about 16 days in the country (3 weeks off work, factoring in travel time and recovery). I do like to hire boys, although that's not what I'm all about (if it were I would stay in Bangkok and go to the bars every night!). I am thinking some time in Bangkok again, maybe Pattaya, maybe Krabi or Phuket. If I go to a beach destination again, I would like there to be at least a little gay life. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you have!

It doesn't get much gayer than Pattaya. It's a pretty short drive from Bangkok.

Have you been elsewhere in the region? You might want to consider a jump over to Cambodia and visit to Angkor.

Thailand is full of interesting places...but they may not have much of a gay scene. Places like Sukhothai are very interesting if you like history. Or even a little trip over to Isaan as there are lots of old Khmer ruins in the region.

Others

Phuket is typical resort town - it does hold a nice beach, nightlife, not too bad restaurants, lots of boy bars or you can easily avoid that area and never know they are there. I spent two weeks and plan to go back. There is a gay beach area that is a no pressure relaxing time. PhiPhi Island is another good, beach, do nothing kind of place, no gay life though. ChangMai to the north is worth a visit, but two days is plenty. ChangRai they say is good too but closer to NE Thailand which can sometimes be volatile with local violence.

ChangRai they say is good too but closer to NE Thailand which can sometimes be volatile with local violence.

I follow the news pretty closely and I don't recall seeing any reports of violence there other than a few things that happened in the immediate aftermath of the Bangkok crackdown. I believe Chiang Rai is perfectly safe. It is also not "closer to NE Thailand" in the geographical sense either, at least as related to Chiang Mai or even Bangkok. Chiang Rai is in the far North near Burma and Laos. The places to avoid are in the deep south where there are lots of bombings.

As it will soon be three years since my first visit to Thailand, I have already started planning my next trip for this coming December or January. Last time, I visited Bangkok, Koh Samui, and Chiang Mai. I would like to solicit some comments and opinions on some different places to visit for the next trip.

I'm hoping to have about 16 days in the country (3 weeks off work, factoring in travel time and recovery). I do like to hire boys, although that's not what I'm all about (if it were I would stay in Bangkok and go to the bars every night!). I am thinking some time in Bangkok again, maybe Pattaya, maybe Krabi or Phuket. If I go to a beach destination again, I would like there to be at least a little gay life. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you have!

Terry, you've chosen the better months to travel weatherwise. In 2007 I spent four weeks in Thailand, on a tour for two and traveling independently for two. ...spent time in Phuket and liked it very much, esp. the other islands that I went to on day trips, but if I were to do it again, I think I'd stay a couple of days at one or two of them. ...spent a week in Pattaya and enjoyed immensely.

On another trip I did Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai. Although the latter is at the Golden Triangle, we (my gay group of men traveling together) did not encounter any difficulties. We also did not do anything that was supposedly "gay-related" either.

In all of the places-- I enjoyed the cultural and historical attributes as well as the men (selectively since I like handsome 25 and older more mature men)!!!

Go and have a blast in more than one way, and please write back so that others can live vicariously through your experiences. Make hotel recommendations in parts other than Bangkok if possible.

Hi, Terry, Phuket is not a very good place to visit now due to a problem with Dengue fever. Thought I live in Bangkok, I have never been to Koh Samui so I cannot advocate for it, but it is about the only island with gay night life.. Pattaya beaches are very polluted but there are many boys available. Not as much quality as Bangkok because many of the boys are street urchins. A good place for beaches is Krabbi. The town itself has no beaches worth a damn but it is easy to get to the islands off the coast or to Railay beach. It may be better to stay at the town of Ao Nang. Easier to get boats to either of these places. Bangkok is still full of boys for rent but the bars have fewer patrons these days. Since all the bad publicity tourism is OFF. There is no (absolutely NO) problems with violence. Axiom is absolutely correct about this being the best time to visit as regards weather. Much cooler in those months.

One must consider that Pattaya has become twink heaven. No muscle is to be found, or at least not enough. I found the boys in Pattaya to be too nelly and too young. The Sunee Plaza bars are downright depressing. Just my opinion.

I'm with you, Lucky, on one accord. I, too, found the guys in Pattaya in 2007 to be way too young looking for me and did not want to be seen in the streets with them. They were cute overall, but I like to be discreet in the company that accompany me!!

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is going to be tough though - I've already been to Samui and was not a big fan, Pattaya is full of skinny nelly boys (not really my type), and Kjun is warning against Phuket due to Dengue Fever.

I think my best bet might be to meet a boy in Bangkok and bring him with me to Phi Phi. It certainly looks beautiful there, and other than the absense of gay life, it might be the perfect place to spend a week.

Any comments on a side trip to Cambodia?

Any comments on a side trip to Cambodia?

If you have never seen Angkor Wat before, you would be a fool to come this far and miss it. Truly one of the great wonders of the world. If you decide to go just let me know and I'll elaborate on the several ways to get to Siem Reap, the town nearest to the ruins.

Archived