Help in Research

Will
This topic is 7959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Surely somebody who posts here will know the answer to this question: When, and on what occasion, did RuPaul say something to the effect that we are born naked, but all the rest is drag? I'm not even sure that's exactly what she said. I need the correct information, believe it or not, for reasons of scholarly research. I'm writing a book on the history of the male nude from the Renaissance to the present. All day long I've been thinking about my remarks this morning regarding gym bodies as drag, RuPaul's quip, and an extremely interesting and very learned article by a classicist on nudity as a costume in Greek athletics of the 5th century BCE. I'd be much obliged for help, pointers, and especially for the direct quote, with footnotes! Thanks in advance.

Guest Thunderbuns

>I'm writing a book on the history of the male nude from the >Renaissance to the present.

This sounds like a facinating project. Do you have a publisher yet or will you have to look for one after it is finished.

One of my all time favorites photographers of nude males was Ken Duncan who used to have his work displayed almost exclusivly in a now defunct magazine called "After Dark" (which was totally in black & white).

I was too young at the time to enjoy these (I was born in '69) but a friend of mine had a complete set of everyone ever published. When he died he left them to me in his will and I treasured them. As luck would have it, when I moved from Montreal to Vancouver, they were in one of several boxes that were stolen off the moving truck.

Thunderbuns

A friend of mine inherited a complete bound set of "After Dark" magazines. They're in perfect condition and fun to look through. A real time capsule of the period. I wonder what they'd get at auction? Anybody have any idea?

She laughs uproariously and RuPaul finishes the thought, "You're born naked, and the rest is drag."

Direct quote from:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,5927,00.html

Hi Will,

If you type the quote into Google you'll find endless references. I'd be lost without my Google...better than Lexus-Nexis in many cases. :7

Need any help? I love to research things.

Archived