NOW is the time to visit Thailand

kjun
This topic is 5060 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some of you may know that I live in Bangkok. I have a partner and do not rent. But, it is fun to visit bars and I do like to see "the dancing-boys". No harm in an occasional look and feel, is there?:)

Tourism is in the cellar here and the bars are really hurting. The boys are, therefore, very available and hotels are offering deals. Easy to get a boy for $33. Unfortunately, airfare is not as cheap as when I returned from a visit to the US in May but once you are here things are very reasonable, if not very cheap. Hotels can be had for $28 to $35 dollars and food is ridiculously cheap. You can eat a meal for $2 to $5 easily. $5 is a real splurge in my book.

So, come on over and enjoy Asia!

You mean boys of legal age...yes?

Yes. Absolutely. The stories you hear about sex with minors is most often in relation to pedophiles. Every Thai must carry a National Identification card and it is pretty easy to determine the age of a boy. The term boy is used for almost anyone who makes himself available for sex. Now, go wash your mind out.:D

Well...it will take a lot more than $5.00 food and cheap hotels to ever lure me to Thailand. The thought of being stranded a few weeks at Suvarnabhumi airport alone will keep me away for a good long time.

It is very sad, Thailand has had a hard time of if with the tsunami and then the political unrest. I have several friends that used to go for the Beaches who have found other safer places to surf and beach. I imagine the tourist trade is hurting severely. I am glad that they have been cracking down on the underage sex-trade, hopefully the economy will remain strong enough to continue that trend.

I have been to Thailand three times, the latest being in December/January of 2006-2007 (a month's trip), and each time I've had different and varied experiences. I truly like the culture, the history, and of course, the men (older and a little more mature looking ones).

Currently, I do not have any plans to return to "The Land of Smiles" soon, but I am definitely NOT ruling out a return visit one of these days. -:)

I have been to Thailand three times, the latest being in December/January in 2006-2007, and each time I've had different and varied experiences and like the culture, the history, and of course, the men (older looking ones).

Currently I do not have any plans to return to "The Land of Smiles" soon, but I am definitely NOT ruling out a return visit one of these days. -:)

Well if you ever do go back, I am sure you will charm the socks off them as you do around here, it is always nice to read your posts (even if we do not agree about Marcelo in BAires).:)

Well...it will take a lot more than $5.00 food and cheap hotels to ever lure me to Thailand. The thought of being stranded a few weeks at Suvarnabhumi airport alone will keep me away for a good long time.

I was in Bangkok when the airport was shutdown in 2008. No one was stranded at the airport. Yes it was a total PITA to be stuck there for a week longer than I had planned, but there are lots worse places one could be stuck. And I don't believe we will ever see that happen again anyway.

If I could afford to go and had the vacation time I would leave tomorrow. But unfortunately Thailand will have to wait until October to see me.

The political issues run deep. And this whole mess will simmer for a long time. But the fact remains that most Thais are lovely people who need support from their friends.

Guest Michaelnc

Bangkok

What's the security situation like in Bangkok these days, Kjun? I'd love to visit and take advantage of the low prices, but I'd be concerned about demonstrations, curfews, and such. Is that all over with for the moment?

Some of you may know that I live in Bangkok. I have a partner and do not rent. But, it is fun to visit bars and I do like to see "the dancing-boys". No harm in an occasional look and feel, is there?:)

Tourism is in the cellar here and the bars are really hurting. The boys are, therefore, very available and hotels are offering deals. Easy to get a boy for $33. Unfortunately, airfare is not as cheap as when I returned from a visit to the US in May but once you are here things are very reasonable, if not very cheap. Hotels can be had for $28 to $35 dollars and food is ridiculously cheap. You can eat a meal for $2 to $5 easily. $5 is a real splurge in my book.

So, come on over and enjoy Asia!

What's the security situation like in Bangkok these days, Kjun? I'd love to visit and take advantage of the low prices, but I'd be concerned about demonstrations, curfews, and such. Is that all over with for the moment?

At present everything is quiet. No problems. The Redshirts have returned to the Northern Provinces and are not causing any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The term boy is used for almost anyone who makes himself available for sex. Now, go wash your mind out.:D

That is correct.

It is true even for other countries like Brazil, Spain and parts of Switzerland.

I personally detest calling a grown man "boy" even though it is not taken offensively by young men in other cultures.

Even today, in some Southern states in the U.S., blacks are sometimes referred to as "boy" which I believe is demeaning.

In Brazil, if I do not know the name of the young man, I do not call him "boi", instead I call him garoto which loosely means - young man.

-

I fought the calling of Thai men "boys" for awhile and realized that it was a hopeless cause. As imrthr points out, they don't really mind, at least in the context of bar boys. Still, I prefer to use Thai guys instead of Thai boys.

Not that I'll be seeing any anytime soon. :mad:

Archived