New York Theater Weekend

body2body
This topic is 5096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I flew into JFK last Thursday for one of those whirlwind New York Theater weekends.

Friday night was "Promises Promises" which was very enjoyable. The interpolated "A House is not a Home" and "I Say A Little Prayer" were decidedly tacked on and only served to stop the action. Even though Miss Chenowith sings them beautifully, the show would be better if they were cut.

Sean Hayes is terrific, and has a future as a Broadway leading man no matter what the Newsweek Critic thinks. The Audience loves him, and he recieved as big or bigger ovation than Miss Chenowith. The scene in the bar with Katie Finneran is going to go down as classic. As discussed in this forum before, the material is good, not great, and there is a reason this show has not been produced for 40+ years.

I grabbed a Saturday Matinee performance of RED, and I am so glad I did. This was the best play I have seen in a long time. Yes it is wordy, but when the words are at the service of so many ideas and emotions, it works. The whole production, from the set and lighting, to the music was just as good as it can get (IMHO). Alfred Molina and Eddie Redmayne are both sublime. Eddie Redmayne moved me to tears at one point (and he is terribly handsome). If you go to New York make sure you see this.

Saturday Night I saw "Sondheim on Sondheim" and it was like going to a service a the Church of St. Stephen. Mr. Lapine's direction and concept for the production were wonderful. If the set designer was not nominated for a Tony there is no justice in the World. Vanessa Williams, and Barbara Cook were as marvelous as I had hoped, and Tom Wopat was a real surprise. The rest of the cast was excellent. My only complaint has to do with the Theater. Studio 54's Orchestra level has a very odd (and insufficient) rake which results in terrible sightlines. I am 6' 4" and could not see over the heads of the guys in front of me. I felt as if I was seated behind Fasolt and Fafner. At intermission they stood up and I was shocked to see that neither of them was over 5'10". You will be better served to sit in the first couple of rows of the mezzanine.

Sunday night we saw "La Cage aux Folles". I was blown away. I had never seen this musical, and was really persuaded to get tickets by my friend (a music arranger). Douglas Hodge as Albin gives a performance you will always remember, even treasure. Kelsey Grammer was very fine. The Production was well conceived the muscular, tough Cagelles reminded me of the some of drags you used to see on Santa Monica Blvd. street wise and tough, and oh the bodies on those boys. You felt like you were watching a show in a piss elegant, slightly tacky "boite" on the Riviera, not the big glittering night club I was told was protrayed in the original Broadway production. A very fun and funny evening.

I wish I had had a few more days, since there are so many things I wanted to see but time and the limitations of my income dictated the duration of this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post

Your message inspired me to get another ticket to La Cage. As a New York show queen, I am always so happy when folks come for a theater weekend and bat 1000. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Archived