NY: Red, Lulu, American Idiot

Guest alanm
This topic is 5113 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest alanm

The opera "Lulu" is only playing three times at the Met this season. It is one of my favorite operas, but this time was disappointing. I love the music, but by Act Three, I was having trouble concentrating (to be fair it is a difficult opera, both story and music). Maybe Fabio Luisi is just not as good as James Levine yet. "Lulu" is one of Levine's signature operas. Luisi will get there.

But, I believe the bigger problems is the very long intermissions at the Met -- two here at about a half hour each. "Lulu" is a long opera, but 8 PM-12:25 AM is just too long. Great singing, and one of the most enjoyable stories in opera (based on Wedekind, who also wrote the play "Spring Awakening" upon which the recent musical is based).

Others here have done a good job with "American Idiot." I wish that I had spent more time listening to the Broadway cast recording. I look rock music, so I was not all that upset with the slacker story line. I do not know how John Gallagher, Jr. is able to give 8 performances a week, and no lose his voice. The musical is worth the money and time just for Gallagher and Stark Sands.

Jonathan Groff was outside the theater after the performance. He looks very good. It was a smart move doing guest appearances on "Glee." He is keeping his fan base, including me. As for "Glee," I may be finally coming around. Kurt's "Rose's Turn" this week came out of left field with no build up. Wonder what Merman would have thought?

"Red" was my favorite, easily of the three. It's not a particularly deep play, but the acting is absolutely fantastic (the best for me since the BAM "A Streetcar Named Desire" in December.). It helps that Eddie

Redmayne is very cute. He holds his own with Alfred Molina. I should say that I like both Abstract Expressionism (Molina's thing) and pop art (Redmayne's argument). I wish Broadway/off-Broadway could always be like this!

Alan, thanks for the report. I am glad that you enjoyed Red. You are a braver man than I to attend American Idiot. I could not name a green Day song if I heard one, not to mention sit in a crowed theater loud with music and raucous listeners. Those things, I thought, were best left to arenas. (I do like Stark Sands, though, having seen him in a production of Bonnie & Clyde at the LaJolla Playhouse). Friends of mine, though, are quite excited about their plans to see the show next month.

Archived