The Kid Opens

edjames
This topic is 5111 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I always have a hard time figuring out whether or not Ben Brantley, theater critic for the NY Times, likes a show or not. His reviews are long winded and tedious. After reading his review of The new gay musical, The Kid, I am assuming he did not hate it, and gave it a lukewarm review.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/05/11/theater/reviews/11kid.html?hpw

The NY Post was more direct and concise and liked the show giving it three and a half stars (out of four).

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/tender_quest_for_paternal_sunshine_QilsN1Uc7cXHPx3LYTX9EP

Anyway, this is not typcially a show I would go see and this month is going to be a busy one, so perhaps sometime in June. Any other hoovillians seeing this production?

ED

I was going to get to my review...

but work has been nuts.

Okay, I am the last person anyone would say is a jaded New Yorker. I tend to like things most folks don't, aka The Addams Family. But I really enjoyed THE KID and look forward to going again. First of all, I know lots of guys, both single and in couples who are adopting or have adopted. And yet it still seems stigmatized.

What makes this work is it is actually a genuinely entertaining musical about the trials and tribulations of people hoping to adopt a child. Oh, yes. And they're gay.

Why I think this works so well is because the book is smart and pretty funny. And the score is pretty terrific. This is the first show this year I walked out of hoping there would be a CD in the lobby. The cast is terrific and full of folks that I recognize as a theater-goer: Susan Blackwell ([title of show]) is a particular standout as an adoption counselor. Ann Harada (Avenue Q) is great. Tyler Maynard (Altar Boys, et al) is wonderful, Brook Sunny Moriber (Wild Party) is fine, and Jill Eikenberry (L.A. Law) is just lovely.

Granted the show is pretty predictable, but there are some great numbers...in particular Spare Changin which is sung by a character whose launching into song is suspicious at best, but here, with this song, worked nicely...making everyone in my group decidedly uncomfortable...a good thing at this point in the show.

Christopher Sieber, an out actor with a long list of theater and TV credits, are super and Lucas Steele, adorable and never before noticed by me, are well-cast as the central couple.

But truly what worked best is that it seemed real. The dialogue, the situations, the doubts and jubilation all seemed real.

Here's the thing...right now it is only playing through the end of May. I have friends coming for Gay Pride at the end of June; I am really hoping it extends. Go see it. I think you will enjoy. There are some discounts out there so you can see a fully produced, medium-sized musical for less than $50 that will stick with you longer than Iron Man or anything wiht Adam Sandler in it.

Yes, I do have tickets to go again.

Archived