A speedy tour of MOMA

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg
This topic is 5123 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Your post makes me wonder again why world class outfits like MOMA hide 90% of their treasure in their basements instead of putting some of it out on tour to 2nd and 3rd tier institutions around the country. Surely the National Endowment for the Arts would be willing to foot the bill.

I've got this picture in my head of a dark cavern with a cranky dragon curled around its hoard.

What is the point of crating up art and keeping it in storage for years? Are folks supposed to be happy just to know that it exists and that they might even get to see it if they happen to be in NY when some curator decides to put it on display?

I think it's a great idea to put some of MOMA's art on tour, but since I live in New York I wonder why they just don't hang more of their collections in their own damn museum. The video above shows that their permanent exhibition of paintings is like a "greatest hits" album, some extraordinary pieces without any real depth to the collection. I would much prefer if they rotated their permanent collection displays so we could see ALL of their Kandinskis one month and ALL of their Matisses the next, etc. They've got the room, which they tend to use for too many trendy shows that just don't belong in MOMA, which I think of as America's temple of 20th Century Art.

Archived