Glass Menagerie - some spoilers

skynyc
This topic is 5134 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi folks,

Well, I just saw this and thought as I was leaving the theater: "I have to go home and tell Lucky and Ed and the guys about this one."

This is my fourth NY production of this show: I saw Jessica Tandy and Amanda Plummer do it when I was in college, Julie Harris and Calista Flockhart do it in the 90s...and Jessica Lange and Christian Slater do it several years ago. But with this production I feel I can retire this show, because I cannot imagine it being any better. It runs just under three hours, but I didn't look at my watch once.

The cast is just terrific. The only real name in the cast is Judith Ivey, but all four of these performers really capture the essence of their roles. Their level of damage is so hidden, and yet so obvious. Tom (Patch Darragh) is so great. I have never before seen it directed that he, too, is desperately and obviously in love with the gentleman caller, but it made great sense. And Laura is just lovely. But the standout is Ms. Ivey. She is heart-breaking as Amanda, such an amazing precurser to Blanche duBois.

The scene following the lights going out is startling because much of it is really played with just the candlelight, and the audience had to listen so carefully to hear every word because there were so few physical cues.

I really recommend this. I am sorry that Lips Together didn't cancel a couple weeks earlier. If the Roundabout had decided to move this to Broadway to fill that slot, I feel certain Ivey would have won her third Tony.

I really enjoyed Everyday Rapture, and think that Sheri Rene Scott is very talented, but I don't need to see it again. I will have to go see this Menagerie once more.

Skynyc- On my first night in New York last month I went to see The Glass Menagerie. I had to pay full price, but boy I had a good seat. My reaction was the same as yours- a great play, well done, with great performances by Patch Brannagh and Judith Ivey.

We seem to like a lot of the same shows!

D'Oh

Lucky...

I knew that I had heard several great reviews of this show, and when talking to my pals who go to a lot of theater none of them have seen it yet. Well, that's right, one of them was you. We do have similar taste.

To anyone who likes classic theater: I can recommend this without reservation.

Archived