Short Broadway News

Lucky
This topic is 5091 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

All About Me is closing on Sunday. The show with Dame Edna and Michael Feinstein lasted for 27 preview performances and only 20 regular performances. It's gross last week was only 23% of capacity. Can't say I will miss out here. It seemed a dumb idea to start with.

Closings

I wasn't surprised to hear that All About Me was closing...it just didn't work, on several levels. I saw an early preview when it still had an intermission and featured a couple of moments with Judge Judy on a giant screen. Yeesh.

I was a bit surprised when I heard that The Miracle Worker was having trouble finding an audience. I thought the production was pretty good, although the suspended furniture was a bit distracting. But it, too, is closing this weekend.

Also, View From a Bridge is ending it's limited run to make room for the limited run of Fences. And Manhattan Theater Club's Time Stands Still leaves to make room for Collected Stories.

And off Broadway just saw or sees the end of the gay triumverate: The Pride, Boys in the Band and Yank. All of which were terrific. Yank has just been announced as a move to Broadway next season but I have to wonder if it will find an audience there, much as I loved it.

Red

Saw "Red" the other day. Fabulous. And co-star Eddie Redmayne is a total dreamboat - and you even get a brief shirtless interlude, showing that he has a nice body, if you like them skinny and tight. If you like the butch, bald look, Alfred Molina as Mark Rothko ain't bad, either...

From kennethinthe212.com:

One Night Only

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5mxw-sYc_F0/S8vyThMV7_I/AAAAAAAApdc/RlUg5XOPpow/s400/broad1.jpgFive Broadway hunks -- Wes Hart (Mr. West Side Story), Eddie Pendergraft (Mr. Wicked), Daniel Soto (Mr. Fela), Rickey Tripp (Mr. In The Heights) and Charlie Williams (Mr. Memphis) -- will battle it out for a good cause tonight in the Broadway Beauty Pageant. Four-time Tony nominee Tovah Feldshuh returns as host, with two-time Tony winner Christine Ebersole, Jackie Hoffman, and Charles Busch judging the contestants in the interview, talent and swimsuit portions of competition, proceeds of which go to the Ali Forney Center, New York City's primary emergency housing resource for homeless LGBT youth. For tickets and information, please click HERE

Make Lucky #28 Now!

Only 27 people get to vote on who gets a Tony nomination?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/theater/theaterspecial/03tony.html?hpw

Well, It is a travesty of titanic proportions if "Lucky," our esteemed Broadway aficionado/critic, is not one of the 27 Tony Award nominators. Perhaps we should organize a protest and march down the Great White Way demanding our beloved "Lucky" is added to this prestigious league of nominators immediately!

• 1 month later...

All-Male Swan Lake

Thank you, Jack. I do not want the Arts Forum to die or even slow down, so I encourage to post in my absence.

I did note that the Mathew Bourne all-male version of Swan Lake, sold out here a few years ago, is being reprised at City Center this fall, from October 13th to November 7th. Tickets went on sale today. It's well worth seeing.

Archived