Roy Dean * August 2, 1925 - June 6, 2002

FrancoDiSantisxxx
This topic is 8001 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I have not seen it elsewhere and I am certain readers of this site are well familiar with Mr. Dean's work, I know that I noted with sadness his passing. Mr. Dean has been a stage and film actor before becoming one of the best known male photographers of nude men. The press report in the Palm Springs papers noted he had been working on a collection, which would had been his twelfth volume. Unfortunately, I cannot send any of you who are actually not familiar with Mr. Dean's work to a site with his fine photography, but I am most certain Les or Beware of Nick or another fine member of our community either will post or provide a URL, if any exist.

I have seen a lot of Roy Dean photography in so called 'coffee table books' but very little of his work appears to be on the net, I guess classic posing is out of fashion.

I did find this link to his last book "Adam Today" and it has a small slide show of his works. Maybe his death will bring a revival?

http://www.maleimage.co.uk/public_html/enter.html?target=ART_zg_PHOTO_BOOKSRECENT_RELEASES_zd2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Roy Dean's death is truly the end of an era.

In my LA drinking days (the 80's and mid 90's) I often met Roy at one or another of the watering holes of LA and West Hollywood. He was always a gentleman, always amusing, and ALWAYS looking at the boys. His old-world courtliness combined with a twinkle in the eye, and just that little glint of self-promotion, told you he was a Hollywood character for sure. To spend a boozy late afternoon with him on the barstool next to you was NOT to have wasted the day!

He was always organizing boat trips with his lads, and on more than one occasion I was invited to join (at my own expense, of course!). I never did, and regret it.

The world of male photography has lost one of its greatest.

Archived