Word to the Wise

Guest flamengo
This topic is 5220 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest flamengo

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting the Middle East - Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. For the first time in my long life I purchased travel insurance through Travel Insured International.

The cost of trip cancellation was $325.00 and the cost for medical coverage was only $25.00. On the fourth day in Israel, I became very ill with pneumonia and was taken, by ambulance, to a hospital in Tiberias, Israel. I spent three days in the hospital and, upon discharge, was presented a bill for 13,000 shekels (3,600 US$). I paid the bill and was given a complete set of medical records and continued my tour.

Upon returning the the US, I filed a claim with Travel Insured International. Much to my surprise, my claim was settled in less than a month (without a question) and I received a check for the full amount, including ambulance. I will never again travel without insurance.

Guest flamengo

Thanks. The medical segment was a part of the package. I could have purchased the trip cancellation segment without the medical but NOT the other way. However, the total package was well worth the cost of the complete package - $350.00 for $3,600.00 - a good return on investment. I know - not really a roi! If the doctor in Tiberias has told me that I must end my tour and return to the US, the trip cancellation would have "taken effect". I was a little overwhelmed that the insurance company paid without a problem or question. I didn't know insurance companies were that easy to deal with.

Thanks.

snip snip

I didn't know insurance companies were that easy to deal with.

They usually are difficult. You got lucky.

Most travel insurance is "secondary" to your other insurance. Most travel insurers will require you to file a claim with your primary insurance. What the primary will not pay, the travel insurance will pay if the costs are genuine.

In Buenos Aires I had used a travel agent to book my rooms, so when my ear clogged up on a SUnday, the travel insurance paid. First I went to one clinic, but they sent me to a hospital. There the ear doc was brought in, again it's Sunday, she opened the ward just for me, gave me a shot of cortisone,and I was on my way. total cost: zero. I didn't even know I had the insurance until then!

I've also had occasion to use Priceline's $5 a day insurance. I stayed 4 days out of 7, had an emergency that called me home, and Priceline refunded me all 7 days without delay.

I've bought travel insurance several times from http://www.insuremytrip.com/. They tell you the ratings of the companies who are offering the insurance and allow you to compare costs and features among several different policies of your choice.

An important feature of some policies (the main reason I've bought them) is a trip interruption benefit if close relatives take ill or die. These even can apply to pre-existing conditions, so long as you buy the policy at the time of booking.

Another cheaper option if you travel frequently is to buy a policy that covers all trips you take within a given year.

Archived