what is "multiquote"?

newatthis
This topic is 5275 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Never noticed this before, but Googled it and found a neat feature:

The much-requested multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.

I noticed the multi-quote button turned red when I clicked it. After I clicked a few multi-quote buttons, then I clicked the "quote" button, and there were all of the quotes I selected, listed in my reply.

How handy! Thanks for turning me on to it!

One of the reply options here, signified by a single quotation mark, is "multiquote this message". When I click on that option, nothing happens. What is supposed to happen? Am I doing something wrong? And what does "multiquote" mean, anyway?

The much-requested multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.

I noticed the multi-quote button turned red when I clicked it. After I clicked a few multi-quote buttons, then I clicked the "quote" button, and there were all of the quotes I selected, listed in my reply.

How handy! Thanks for turning me on to it!

When will I learn that you can find everything by using google? I just assumed that this was some internal function of this software that was explained in some internal help file that I couldn't find. THANK YOU! (You'll notice I went wild with this feature -- or as wild as one can go with only 2 posts in this thread -- in answering you.)

Editing Quotes

It is a very useful feature and I'm glad to learn that it can also be used to quote from other threads. When using multi-quote, posters should also note that it is not necessary to insert quoted posts in their entirety. It is more useful to the reader if the poster edits down to the most relevant part(s) of the post(s) he is (multi-)quoting, but without omitting the 'Originally posted by...' introduction.

Guest zipperzone

Pardon the dumb question but where is the small button? I can't see it for the life of me.

...I'm glad to learn that it can also be used to quote from other threads...
Now that Mark mentions it, I realize that I don't quite understand the description of how to use multiquote to quote from other threads. Can someone (Mark?) give a more complete explanation?

Now that Mark mentions it, I realize that I don't quite understand the description of how to use multiquote to quote from other threads. Can someone (Mark?) give a more complete explanation?

I was hoping you wouldn't ask, as I just copied what I found on Google without fully understanding that rather dense paragraph on quotes from other threads. :confused:

However, after a little experimentation, I learned that you can navigate to any other thread in the Message Center, find a post you want to quote, click the multi-quote button for that post, and it will show up in your reply. For example:

"Does it really matter what these affectionate people do — so long as they don’t do it in the streets and frighten the horses!"––Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Before you post, you'll get a little warning that you have quoted other threads in your reply, and you can choose to retain them or delete them.

To navigate to other threads and other posts, I used the little menu tree at the top of the page, just under Daddy's smiling face.

There's probably an easier and better way to do all this.

But don't quote me. ;)

Go to any thread and click multi-quote.

Go to another thread and click Reply. Under the box where you compose your reply there will be a link to click if you want to include all your pending multi-quotes.

In addition to Google, the MC's help system is under the FAQ link, above.

Guest zipperzone
At the bottom right of each post, there are 3 buttons. Multi-quote is the middle button with quotation marks and a plus sign on it.

Thank you...

Pardon the dumb question but where is the small button? I can't see it for the life of me.

Not a dumb question that worked great

At the bottom right of each post, there are 3 buttons. Multi-quote is the middle button with quotation marks and a plus sign on it.

Thanks for the explanation

its actually quite easy and really useful Thanks Now all I have to do is figure out how to link pictures. Remember Im still new at this (not newatthis but new at this)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to link pictures. Remember Im still new at this (not newatthis but new at this)

With the new board, we have yet another new technique for posting pictures. You still need the URL, but the URL alone isn't enough. You have to surround it in the [noparse]%5B/noparse%5D%20tag.[/noparse]

Look at the very bottom of this page for a box with links that will take you to exact instructions.

Kevin Slater

Go to any thread and click multi-quote.

Go to another thread and click Reply. Under the box where you compose your reply there will be a link to click if you want to include all your pending multi-quotes.

That's pretty friggin cool. I've just been cutting and pasting, but this saves the hassle.

Kevin Slater

On the other hand, has anyone ever seen both of us at the same time?

Come now dont confuse people Im justaguy. wait i mean im a nycman. thats not it. I was a long time follower until i figure its time, lurker speaks wait. Well lets just say I met Romann and in his Greatness I consider myself Lucky

And thank you Kevin. Im gonna try that later

Archived