There will be a 2003 edition of the NYC Firefighter's Calendar

Justice
This topic is 8007 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saturday's New York Daily News http://www.nydailynews reported that the decision has been made to print a 2003 edition of the New York Firehouse Hunks calendar (it's been renamed -- it's now called Calendar of Heros). Last year's edition was cancelled as a result of the tragedy. Sadly, three of the firefighters/models were killed on 9/11. Their pictures will be included iin this year's editiion and their families are reported to have supported that decision. I have mixed feelings about this.

Here's a copy of the article:

Saturday, May 25, 2002

Heroes Among

Hottest of Bravest

By DAVE GOLDINER

Daily News Staff Writer

After a year on the shelf, the Fire Department's pinup-boy calendar is coming back — and it'll include photos of three men who made the ultimate sacrifice Sept. 11.

But instead of "Firehouse Hunks," the 2003 edition will be dubbed "Calendar of Heroes."

Brave hunk Danny Keane is featured on the cover of the 2003 FDNY 'Calendar of Heroes.'

"They're handsome and they're heroes," said photographer Alan Batt. "It was done in good taste, and we decided it was time to get back to normal."

The calendar, which will hit the streets July 1, features shirtless shots of 13 muscular firefighters who won a contest last summer for the 2002 edition — including Robert Cordice, Thomas Foley and Angel Juarbe, who died in the World Trade Center attacks. The department was about to print the 2002 calendar when the terrorists struck. "With everything that happened in September, we decided it wasn't going to be done," said Fire Department spokeswoman Amanda Schmidt.

Beefcake Concerns

A few firefighters' widows also questioned the propriety of showing beefcake as the public face of the FDNY when so many were grieving.

Angel Juarbe (top) and Robert Cordice, who posed for the calander were killed 9/11.

But once the shock of the attacks subsided, support began to build for a new calendar, and the parents of the three dead firefighters joined in.

Caroline Cordice proudly displayed the calendar photo of her son at his memorial service in November — and told officials she was eager to see him included in the next edition.

She recalled him as a fitness fanatic who went to the gym four times a week to sculpt his muscular frame.

He was her only child and her "best friend," she said.

'Let's Do It'

"They said, 'Let's do it.' They wanted their sons in," said Batt. "They felt it was important to do."

He and the firefighters did scrap the original cover shot, which showed chiseled Firefighter Danny Keane smiling in front of the twin towers.

Instead, they took a new photo of Keane posing before the Empire State Building.

Helmeted Thomas Foley posed for the best-selling calendar but died in the Trade Center attack.

Demand for the $15 calendars is expected to soar. In past years, about 10,000 calendars were sold, but this year's initial press run is 100,000.

Batt is hoping to raise $500,000 for the department's fire-safety education program.

"People are going to see how good-looking these guys are," he said. "Hopefully, it will make them appreciate them even more."

What do you think? Post your comments on our Forums.

Daily News Services

Guest RushNY

BUY A COPY ....BUY 2 COPIES

I'll be buying my copy as usual,i can understand why some people may have mixed feelings but IMHO its a way of getting back to normality that everyone needs after what happened,believe me if people thought it was an inappropraite idea it would not have happened,but its time to move on ..the best thing you can do is to buy a copy of the calendar enjoy the hunky guys knowing full well that you are doing good.

RE: BUY A COPY ....BUY 2 COPIES

In addition to the getting back to normal issue, these are POSED photos for a professional photographer. We're not talking about candids or lockerroom hidden cams. These guys INTENDED for them to be published. They WANTED this to be done.

I don't think it's in any way disrespectful to honor their wishes.

It appears the decision to go ahead was made by family members, who would presumably know their preferences best, not by the photographer or publisher. I wouldn't have any trepidation about the publication at all. I'm thrilled it was handled the way it was.

>is there an online link to buy one?

To the best of my knowledge, it's never been sold online. (As the above article mentions, they only sold about 10,000 calendars in prior years.) I've always bought my copies at the New York Firefighter's Friend, which is a privately owned firefighter themed gift shop in Soho. It's on the same block as the FDNY's medical clinic and one of the largest fire houses in the city. It's address is:

263 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012

Orders: 1 (800) 229-9258 Ext. 22

Store Hours - 10 AM - 6 PM Mon - Sat

They url for their online store is http://www.nyfirestore.com. The online store usually offers non-beefcake firefighting calendars during the holiday shopping season. I've placed several online orders and have no complaints. However, they are a very small operation and it can take awhile for them to fill orders so please be patient.

I recently stumbled on another online FDNY-related gift shop. It's website states that it's run by the FDNY’s Fire Safety Education Fund. It's url is http://www.fdnyfirezone.com/store/store_index.html and I've just bookmarked it.

I'll let everyone know if I see it offered online.

Part of me is also thrilled about the decision to publish the pictures of the firemen who were killed. (I know that it wouldn't have happened without the support of the families.) I'll probably buy a copy for myself. The proceeds have always been used for some very good causes and I'm sure that this year will be no excepion.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aarongreyLa

You know, I have so much respect for Firefighters. I think that the whole NYC tragedy really let the nation see what an ultimate sacrifice firefighters-above all in my opinion- make for the people of this nation. They are always at the top of my list of people to respect in this country. They are so hot too. Of course, that has nothing to do with my respect for them…well maybe a little bit. However, they sure are good representatives any government agency. Shoot, if the people at the DMV looked anything like firefighters I would have to make an appointment to get a driver’s, motorcyclist, commercial trucking, bus license…What ever they could give me would be fine. I would even voluntarily go to traffic school…every month. Tee hee. They are awesome. They need to be recognized.

Aaron Grey

http://www.aarongreycalifornia.com

aaron@aarongreycalifornia.com

A friend of mine is a Chicago firefighter who was one of a team that hopped on a truck and drove to NYC to assist in the cleanup. The stories he tells are really gut-wrenching. Firefighters truly are a remarkable breed, well worthy of our respect and support.

In addition to being incredibly dedicated, they have a brotherhood that's not to be believed.

I was walking past Wrigley Field just after the Cubs/Sox game today and it was gratifying to see that the busiest "souvenir" vendor was the Chicago firefighters selling NYFD hats & shirts, with all proceeds going to NYFD relief funds. Everything was donated: the products, the printing, the labor ...

Firefighters truly are special people, worthy of our support.

Guest aarongreyLa

You are so right. When I was a little kid, I remember, if there was any emergency, people would call 911-the police I thought- and the fire department would always come. And I would always sit and wonder how they intercepted the call. Afterward, I began to think of how amazing they were because they were always there first. Sometimes they would be there before the ambulance. I think it was though firefighters that I really came to respect the street level bureaucrat. They made me believe in the system because of the tight code of honor. I rarely see a fire department at the center of a scandal. They are real troopers. And out of all the federal or state bureaucrats, I think that they are one of the best.

Aaron Grey and that in the corner is my caboose. Choo!!Choo!!

http://www.aarongreycalifornia.com

aaron@aarongreycalifornia.com

• 3 weeks later...

RE: The 2003 NYC Firefighter's Calendar will be sold online!

I'm not strongly attracted to the hunk type. However, I purchased the calendar just to be supportive. Only 15.00 it was the least I could do. I hope other twink lovers might do the same :)

-----------

WAR IS OVER

if you want it

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

• 5 weeks later...

Archived