How to size foto on post

MsGuy
This topic is 5365 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No way I know of other than the traditional method:

* Download the image to your hard disk.

* Resize using image processing software (irfanview, etc.).

* Upload to a free hosting site (photobucket, flickr, etc.) or other web location under your control.

* Link to the newly-sized photo.

On the old board software, you could use the height and width attributes of the IMG HTML tag, but that was a tad misleading. It didn't resize the image, it only resized the display. If the image was huge, the whole huge file still downloaded for a small display. (And it was way too easy to unintentionally get Silly Putty stretchy effects.)

If you want to really resize, you have to "own" the file and also have it stored somewhere that you "own".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

Not that bad.........

MsGuy...it's not all that awful!

As a newbie here, I created an account (basic...no fee required) at Photobucket, and I upload to that location all the pictures I want to post. Once uploaded, Photobucket has easy-to-use options that allow you to resize the image...either to some pre-selected standard sizes or by picking the length or width you'd like. You can then save the re-sized image...either in place of the original, or in addition to the original.

Worked like a charm for my avitar.

Go ahead, give it a try...You can do it!:)

Lookin: Thanks for the hints. Where possible I've started to use thumbnails. Still seem to get too much size variation but less than before.

Duchess: When dealing with the likes of me, there's no such thing as an "easy to use" option. My next to youngest brother has been after me to open a Photobucket account so maybe between the two of you I'll screw up the courage to give it a try. By the way, who is that brawny type feeling up your avatar? Good looking lad, yes, indeed. ;) Maybe I should switch out mine for the one with Elmer smooching Bugs.

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

Enquiring minds want to know...

By the way, who is that brawny type feeling up your avatar?

That's the renowned Dudley Do-Right, of the RCMP. He's the head of my security detail.....keeps the crowds under control when I'm out for a walk-about. He's coming up for retirement soon, so I'm going to trade him in for two that are 1/2 his age.

I do love a man in uniform!

;)

Archived