Pick up bars in NYC?

tony
This topic is 5402 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I now know there are no strip clubs in NYC, what a shame! However, can anybody reccomend any bars or clubs where one might go to meet & pick up somebody? I prefer a not too young crowd, but anything will do, as I will be there just a few days. Thanks.

Guest vwsguy

Splash is a good bet

I agree..Splash is fun and usually full of a vareity of guys of viarious ages and types depending what you are in to...overall fun place most nights

Guest vwsguy

2 more...

It can be hit or miss and the crowed changes sometimes by the hour but both are usually fun...whether or not you hook up is sort of up to you..Gym Bar in Chelsea and Barracuda in Chelsea

Townhouse

I now know there are no strip clubs in NYC, what a shame! However, can anybody reccomend any bars or clubs where one might go to meet & pick up somebody? I prefer a not too young crowd, but anything will do, as I will be there just a few days. Thanks.

Strip Club..The W20 Club...BUT BRING MONEY!

The "Townhouse" on 58th has been there forever, at one time The Hooboy Site had a few guys who frequented the place. But the Name has not come up in a very long time? But ya never know you might hit it right? ;)

Permit me, if I might, an alternative view of the Townhouse:

"Yes I've been to Townhouse but not often: I don't really like it. I rather turns my stomach. How can I describe it? It's sort of like a Splash Bar specifically for the formerly handsome closeted guys over sixty. The decor is rather understated yacht club or gulf club traditional. There's a piano lounge in the back with with old men in hair too neat, clustered around that piano singing along very loudly to Broadway show tunes as if they had talent. It's all rather dreary but there's a cadre of working boys, chiefly Latino or Asian who try to make connections there. The management is rather strict in trying to keep that business low key. The working boys have to be appropriately dressed."

This from my response to a very muscular working lad who wondered if he should ply his trade there. He ultimately demurred. I've also heard a rumor (only a rumor) that a few guys were busted in the Townhouse recently. Without a decent local gay newspaper, I cannot confirm.

The Townhouse is an elegant two level bar on East 58th St between Second and Third Avenues on the east side of Manhattan. It's been in business for almost 30 years. There are two bars on the first floor and one downstairs. All are what one might call intimate and decorated in a clubby decor (think paintings of English hunting dogs, etc...). It can get very crowded on weekends. And yes, guys, there are still some guys working the crowd, but probably a lot fewer than "the good old days."

Say what you want about the place but it provides a nice comfortable atmosphere for an older gay crowd where men of a certain age can congregate and socialize. The music may not be Lady Gaga or Beyonce, but the piano bar provides music that gay men have loved and adored for many decades. You can actually have a conversation at the Townhouse without having to repeat yourself over the din of a blasting disco beat.

If this isn't your scene, Splash is the opposite. Noisy, crowded, strobing lights and many gay tourists from NY’s outer locations and vacationers but hunky bartenders in briefs and chiseled chests will keep you eyes occupied. Don't go on Thursday night when Campus Thursdays takes over and the universal age of the crowd seems to be 21, unless of course twinks are your thing. Splash has 2-1 drinks every evening, and there is a cover charge after 10PM, $20.

Other Manhattan locations would be The Urge on Second Avenue and First St where they have go-go boys every night starting at 11PM. G Lounge on 19th St is a good place for a drink in a lounge-like setting. While in Chelsea, walk around to the Gym Bar on Eighth Ave, the View Bar or as someone else mentioned Barracuda on West 22nd St and Eighth Avenue. Rawhide on 21st St and Eighth Ave has go-go boys every night. Let’s not forget HK, where bars like The Ritz, Valada, Therapy and Posh are all very popular.

There are many locations to choose from. The cruising is up to you…

Enjoy!

ED

The Townhouse is an elegant two level bar on East 58th St between Second and Third Avenues on the east side of Manhattan. It's been in business for almost 30 years. There are two bars on the first floor and one downstairs. All are what one might call intimate and decorated in a clubby decor (think paintings of English hunting dogs, etc...). It can get very crowded on weekends. And yes, guys, there are still some guys working the crowd, but probably a lot fewer than "the good old days."

Say what you want about the place but it provides a nice comfortable atmosphere for an older gay crowd where men of a certain age can congregate and socialize. The music may not be Lady Gaga or Beyonce, but the piano bar provides music that gay men have loved and adored for many decades. You can actually have a conversation at the Townhouse without having to repeat yourself over the din of a blasting disco beat.

If this isn't your scene, Splash is the opposite. Noisy, crowded, strobing lights and many gay tourists from NY’s outer locations and vacationers but hunky bartenders in briefs and chiseled chests will keep you eyes occupied. Don't go on Thursday night when Campus Thursdays takes over and the universal age of the crowd seems to be 21, unless of course twinks are your thing. Splash has 2-1 drinks every evening, and there is a cover charge after 10PM, $20.

Other Manhattan locations would be The Urge on Second Avenue and First St where they have go-go boys every night starting at 11PM. G Lounge on 19th St is a good place for a drink in a lounge-like setting. While in Chelsea, walk around to the Gym Bar on Eighth Ave, the View Bar or as someone else mentioned Barracuda on West 22nd St and Eighth Avenue. Rawhide on 21st St and Eighth Ave has go-go boys every night. Let’s not forget HK, where bars like The Ritz, Valada, Therapy and Posh are all very popular.

There are many locations to choose from. The cruising is up to you…

Enjoy!

ED

WOW! Thank you everybody for such detailed and well thought out commentary. This is excellent knowledge to have and all the places sound interesting at some point, lots t choose from. THANK YOU ALL!

Archived