Trojan Horse ITunes Small.BOG - Real Thing?

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5431 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To the Computer Gurus

Just started up the laptop this evening and my AVG virus scan went completely spastic. Multiple messages related to iTunes directories indicating a Trojan horse called Small.BOG. I'm on a Dell, running Windows XP using AVG paid version as my scanner.

Itunes updated last night before shutting down and AVG updated this morning. Checked the AVG site and there's no information about Small.BOG Trojan horse.

Checked the Apple discussion boards and it appears that only those running AVG are having the problem. Consensus is that AVG screwed up its latest update and this is a false positive. Are other users of AVG on this board having the same issue?

Advice from the Apple board is not to freak out and let AVG fix this, if they own up to it that is. Others advise uninstalling AVG and reinstalling iTunes then reinstall AVG.

So....I ask our resident experts Daddy and Deej, as well as anyone else, what's a good course of action here? Initially, I got really worried over this but now feeling there's nothing to this issue other than the mess in iTunes directories that will have to be cleaned up.

Another note, it appears that my regular AVG scan is not functioning at present.

Thanks.

If you can, sit on your hands until AVG's next update. They'll undo any "damage" they caused by quarantine, and they're usually good about updates. (It's who I use on my own PCs.)

If it's any consolation, we got hit with a real virus today. My boss complained that he couldn't get into his stock trading account because it said "too many failed logins" -- that was the virus hammering it with attempts to guess his password. We'll probably be cleaning up his PC all weekend.

I just woke up to the Itunes AVG Trojan Horse issue. For the last 4 days leading up to the issue, I had a "mobile device helper" error from the computer every time I would connect my Iphone. I was wondering if this was part of the issue or totally separate. I am also using a Dell. I will research the links suggested in an earlier post.

Get an Apple!!!!

Since this kerfuffle was caused by iTunes, made by APPLE in case you've forgotten, I'm not so sure that's the best course of action. ;-)

Right now, Apple's "security" is completely based on obscurity. Virus authors target the largest market, plain and simple, and that ain't Mac. If anything, MacOS is actually more vulnerable because NOBODY uses virus protection. If everyone switched to Mac, you'd suddenly see a new focus on viruses there. But since so few use it, there isn't much bang-for-buck in an attack.

The real cause of this mess is auto-updates. I disallow them on my computers except for A/V definitions. Automatic updates are like checking a box that says "Make sure I never quite know what condition my PC is in". Every day is a crap shoot: will it work? Doesn't mean much that it worked yesterday! Somebody may have updated in the middle of the night. Bleh!

Guest greatness

I agree

It is a false notion that Mac is not vulnerable. Apple is working on their security measures. I've read a report on Mac's vulnerability written by an expert recently. Fortunately experts are aware and working on the issue.

Right now, Apple's "security" is completely based on obscurity. Virus authors target the largest market, plain and simple, and that ain't Mac. If anything, MacOS is actually more vulnerable because NOBODY uses virus protection. If everyone switched to Mac, you'd suddenly see a new focus on viruses there. But since so few use it, there isn't much bang-for-buck in an attack.

Guest greatness

Wow

I thought a brute force attempt is an ancient method. Who would hack a computer like that these days? Every major banks and companies have a counter measure against it. There is a possibility that a third party using a different computer accessed his stock trading account directly or he may have mistyped his password three times and locked himself out? Anyways, I'm sorry that you have to work during the weekends.

If you can, sit on your hands until AVG's next update. They'll undo any "damage" they caused by quarantine, and they're usually good about updates. (It's who I use on my own PCs.)

If it's any consolation, we got hit with a real virus today. My boss complained that he couldn't get into his stock trading account because it said "too many failed logins" -- that was the virus hammering it with attempts to guess his password. We'll probably be cleaning up his PC all weekend.

Lucked out...

Shoot! I just noticed this thread. I use AVG as well and would die if anything happened to iTunes... I guess I was lucky or ignorance is bliss as they say...

Right now, Apple's "security" is completely based on obscurity.

At any rate, deej is exactly right about Apple and security... and Apple users have for the most part been lucky as well...

Update

Just wanted to close the loop on this issue. I followed Deej's advice to just sit back and wait and that proved to be the wise course of action. AVG updated recently and fixed its error readings. Just reloaded iTunes and everything seems to be running just fine. Thanks Deej.

http://www.inquisitr.com/30504/itunes-smallbog-trojan-virus/

Archived