Feeling under the weather....ok?

Guest RianB
This topic is 5447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest RianB

For those of you who travel often, how do you adjust to the constant climate change? I went from bone dry 100 degree weather in Tex to 60 degree wet weather in Mass., and now back again at night its 90 degrees and Im so feeling it. I may have to take a couple days off now cause Im just feeling too sick from the weather change.

Do you just adjust to it over time?

Follow The Basics

Rian, there's no magic to dealing with changes in environmental factors like temperature and changes to your body clock (i.e., jet lag). The basic rules about keeping your immune system strong apply. Get enough sleep, drink enough water, take your vitamins and get some exposure to sunlight (just a little is fine) every day you can.

Many people get sick after airplane flights because, well, because they're locked in small stuffy tube for hours with sick people, but also because it's a very dry environment (making their mucous membranes more susceptible to infection) and because flying implies significant changes to your daily rhythm.

Sorry you're feeling under the weather.

Water is your bestest friend in the world! I've noticed that for me tap water is a big NO NO for me when I travel. When I do water its got to be bottled because I'm not used what is in the local water system where I am traveling too. Too make the water taste better & give it an extra kick I'll throw in a packet or two of emergen-c packs.

Hugs,

Greg

I hear ya on this issue. Invariably such travel extremes will cause me to come down with respiratory congestion and general fatigue.

Solutions that work for me include taking Mucinex prior to and just after arrival of my flight. Depending on the climate I may take it for the duration of the trip. My doctor suggested this and it’s worked really well for me.

Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and juices. Cut back on alcohol consumption. I tend to wait about 24 hours after arrival at a destination before I'll consider imbibing. And I don't drink on the plane due to the effects of cabin pressure and alcohol.

Finally, a good cardio workout can do wonders. However, one needs to be practical about when and where. Hitting the gym while not fully acclimatized can lead to trouble. I'm referring to high altitude cities such as Quito Ecuador or the like where breathing can become a challenge and altitude sickness is not something to be messed with.

It happens... listen to your body.

As you travel more often, your body will adjust to the environmental changes but you can help this cause by maintaining a diet where you are well fed, vitamins are very helpful and I have found that getting the proper amount of sleep really helps me out. When you start to feel that your body may be coming down with something, listen to it and take care of yourself for a few days. While this may not be very helpful to your travels, you will find that the amount of time you will need to take off will be less compared to pushing forward with your travel activities.

Sorry to hear that you're sick but like most things, it will pass and you will be back in action soon. :)

Take care of yourself!

For those of you who travel often, how do you adjust to the constant climate change? I went from bone dry 100 degree weather in Tex to 60 degree wet weather in Mass., and now back again at night its 90 degrees and Im so feeling it. I may have to take a couple days off now cause Im just feeling too sick from the weather change.

Do you just adjust to it over time?

Guest RianB
get some exposure to sunlight (just a little is fine) every day you can. Many people get sick after airplane flights because, well, because they're locked in small stuffy tube for hours with sick people

The only sunlight I appreciate this time of year is the one that gets me out of bed. But up north its something to be cherished and not taken for granted LOL....

And I don't drink on the plane due to the effects of cabin pressure and alcohol.

I figured the alcohol kicked in alot faster on plane rides :D

When I do water its got to be bottled because I'm not used what is in the local water system where I am traveling too.

yeah I bet Seattle has that fresh mountain water I bet waters elsewhere taste like shit?

All the advice offered in the preceding posts is good. Altitude + alcohol definitely has an effect on your body. The remedy for traveling is similar to the remedy for a cold. If you do all the things just right you will get over it in about 14 days; if you don't do very much, you will get over it in about 2 weeks.

When I started traveling many years ago, it seemed like I had a very low grade cold all the time for, more or less, 6 months. I did nothing right. I smoked. I drank. I stayed up late and got up early. After an interval where I thought I had tasted the water in every major city in the US and a lot of the small ones, I started feeling better and have had no trouble since.

Best regards,

KMEM

Guest RianB
If you do all the things just right you will get over it in about 14 days; if you don't do very much, you will get over it in about 2 weeks.

LOL, KMEM...how many days are in 2 weeks? And 14 days equals how many weeks? By the way, it only lasted for 2 days. The local grocery had buy 1 get 1 free orange juice's so I chugged down a gallon of O.J. in a day in a half...biked for 4 miles (indoors) and the next day all was cleared.

So yes, Vitamin C and cardio definently does the trick ;)

Guest greatness

sauna

If I am too tired to exercise I go to sauna. It helps me a lot to recover.

LOL, KMEM...how many days are in 2 weeks? And 14 days equals how many weeks? By the way, it only lasted for 2 days. The local grocery had buy 1 get 1 free orange juice's so I chugged down a gallon of O.J. in a day in a half...biked for 4 miles (indoors) and the next day all was cleared.

So yes, Vitamin C and cardio definently does the trick ;)

If I am too tired to exercise I go to sauna. It helps me a lot to recover.

Rian is 21... he's probably thinking, "How could you be too tired to exercise?!".

God dammit won't someone invent a vaccine to getting old!

Achily (tonight anyway) yours,

Josh

Guest greatness

lol

Oh I meant after a long travel and if I was too tired to do anything else. But I agree..even though I am not tired I go to sauna anyway...;)l... Yes if someone can find a cure for getting old...My whole body is aching. I wish I were in early

20s full of energy and a night's sleep could make me energized...

Rian is 21... he's probably thinking, "How could you be too tired to exercise?!".

God dammit won't someone invent a vaccine to getting old!

Achily (tonight anyway) yours,

Josh

Archived