Dolly Parton receives honorary PHD

EXPAT
This topic is 2334 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Dolly Parton picked up an honorary PhD from The University of Tennessee this week.

"Just think, I am Dr. Dolly!" she said Friday after receiving an honorary doctorate of humane and musical letters from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. "So when people say something about 'Double-D,' they will be thinking of something entirely different," Dolly joked.

Parton is, of course, a Tennessee native having grown up as a poor girl in the Appalachian mountains.

http://gaysocialites.com/photos/dr_dolly_utk.jpg

Guest Wetnwildbear

Thats OK

Dolly is reportedly very generous overall

and very gay friendly to her Dollywood employees.

Implicit in the granting of an honorary PhD. is the understanding that the recepient will make a large donation, or donations, to the institution.

Good for her

I have had the pleasure on a couple of occasions throughout her career to meet Miss. "DD." She has more talent than many people give her credit for and more energy that seems possible for someone her size and age. My father adored her and was a founding member of her fan club, God bless him. She remains very giving of her time and money. There may be a lot involved in the "wrapper" that makes her Dolly, but IMO she is a class act. I wish her kudos!

• 8 years later...
Good for her

I have had the pleasure on a couple of occasions throughout her career to meet Miss. "DD." She has more talent than many people give her credit for and more energy that seems possible for someone her size and age. My father adored her and was a founding member of her fan club, God bless him. She remains very giving of her time and money. There may be a lot involved in the "wrapper" that makes her Dolly, but IMO she is a class act. I wish her kudos!

I remember in the early to mid seventies, I knew some country folks who would travel to Nashville to hear country music and they were big fans of Dolly Parton. I had never hear of her, but I think they even knew her and had her autographed albums. I never heard of her again until her hit, "Here you come again", one of the first crossover songs. Never have I heard anything bad about her and always impressed that she is such a good and successful business person, while always a great entertainer. Good for her.

I never heard of her again until her hit, "Here you come again", one of the first crossover songs.

I had that .45 (flip side: ME & LITTLE ANDY). I was sent to Chicago for work for 3 weeks in 1989, that became 7 weeks. I listened to a lot of radio in the car as I worked, and heard a lot of her White Limozeen album, which was a definite attempt to cross over. I loved a few songs from it it, & bought it when I got home.

A fun, uptempo song:

A lovely ballad:

The title song:

An adorably sexy duet with Mac Davis:

Edited by samhexum