Buenos Aires - Other Practical Info

This topic is 7557 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...

RE: Buenos Aires -Airport Transportation Info

Ezeiza (EZE), the Buenos Aires int'l airport, is a long way from town. Probably the most reasonable way to get into the city is to use the express airport bus service operated by a company called Manuel Tienda León. They will have booths selling tickets as you exit customs and immigration. It runs about US$15. You'll be taken to their downtown terminal on Av. Santa Fe near Plaza San Martin, from which you can walk to the HoJo on Calle Florida, if you're staying there and have wheels on your bag. Otherwise, Tienda León runs a free minivan shuttle service for their passengers between the terminal and hotels and other addresses in central B.A.

You can also take a regular taxi or a car service (called a remise in Argentina) but they will be considerably more expensive. Useful, though, if you're not traveling between the airport and the city center.

Most domestic flights (and flights to Montevideo and Punta del Este) operate from the very close-in Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (AEP). This means a long cross-town trip if you have a direct connection involving both airports. Allow at least four hours if you're doing this. Tienda León has express shuttle service between the two airports. Otherwise, the easiest way to get to and from AEP, if you're already in B.A., is just to take a cab. From AEP to most of central B.A. shouldn't run more than US$3 - 4, at the maximum.

RE: Buenos Aires - Subway/Subte

B.A. has the oldest subway system in Latin America. It was built by the British, starting in the teens of the past century, and the older lines resemble the London tube (but with lots of decorative Spanish tile).

The system moldered for many years, but was privatized during the 90s and is being modernized and expanded. Extensions have opened on a couple of the lines, and an entirely new cross-town line is now under construction.

Information about the system is available through the private operator, at http://www.metrovias.com.ar Click on "Informacion del Servicio" and then on "Mapas" for a map. Other info is also available, but in Spanish.

RE: Buenos Aires - Taxi Service

B.A. has ZILLIONS of black taxis (with a yellow stripe) and at current writing they're very cheap. Cheaper than Rio! Given the fares, it's easiest just to hop a cab rather than take a bus, assuming you don't want to walk to your destination. (B.A. is flat as the proverbial pancake and an easy walking town.) Flag drop on the taxi meter starts at around A$1.50 pesos. It's hard to spend more than 3 or 4 pesos on cab fare to virtually any destination within central B.A. That means you'll rarely spend more than the equivalent of US$1 - 1.50 in fare, unless you're going to an outlying neighborhood.

Locals recommend using the radio taxis (marked as such) because they're safer. No difference in fares.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a remise (prepaid taxi) from Ezeiza into downtown BA twice. It cost 46 pesos at lunchtime, 52 pesos at 5am. That's less than USD15, so it's hardly exorbitant and it gets you direct to your hotel. It was about the same for the interairport trip between Aeroparque and Ezeiza, and it took about 25 minutes (middle of the day). Organise it through Manuel Tienda Leon, whose booth is immediately outside the exit from the customs area at Ezeiza. It's safe, convenient and worth the money if you've just arrived after a long flight (for example, 18 hours from Sydney, crossing 11 time zones and brushing Antarctica on the way over!).

If you're going to organise a trip to Iguassu or Bariloche using local travel agents, be aware of a scam involving Aerolineas Argentinas airport staff. The airline issues tickets which the airport staff then query - for example, at Iguassu on the way back to BA I was told by the Aerolineas checkin staff that my ticket "was only available for residents of Argentina". A friend of mine had had the same problem on the flight from BA to Iguassu at Aeroparque.

In both cases we got on the flight OK, but when I checked with my travel agent on my return to BA she said that the tickets were perfectly valid - Aerolineas issued them, after all, knowing they were being issued to foreigners because we had to give our pasport details - and that there were instances of Aerolineas staff trying to demand surcharges for "incorrectly issued" tickets.

You absolutely MUST visit Iguassu Falls, one of the most awesome sights on earth. If you organise one of the all-inclusive package deals through travel agents in BA, be aware that the National Park at Iguassu cannot by law issue prepaid entry tickets. All travellers, therefore, must pay to enter the National Park, even if you're on a supposedly "all inclusive" tour. The cost is 30 pesos, about USD10.

My travel agent (Cintia at WOW Argentina) had told me about this in advance. I recommend her very highly. She does a good job and is very pleasant to deal with. Their website is at http://www.wowargentina.com.ar. You can email her at cintia@wowargentina.com.ar.

Archived