montreal hotel question

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 6685 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am starting to plan my next vacation to the wonderful city of Montreal. In the past, I have stayed at the Delta Montreal, the Hyatt Regency, and last time, at a private rental apartment in the village. I have a friend who works for Marriott who is going to try to get me a great rate at one of the properties there, and I was wondering which Marriott is most conveniently located to the village? There are four, the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal, the Courtyard Marriott Downtown, the Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, and The Residence Inn Downtown. And one other question.. Is a passport required to enter Canada or not? Last time i went (september), I was told it would be required as of January 1.. But then I heard that they have postponed the change until sometime in 2007. Thanks in advance for any help, guys

I can't help with the hotel question, but about the passport--

The change in requirements for a passport have been postponed, as far as I'm aware. A US passport will facilitate border crossings---both into Canada and back into the US if you are a citizen of the US. The changes that were proposed were meant to ensure some kind of check on people entering the US. If you are not an American citizen, I don't know what the regulations are, but with security more and more an issue, I suspect you would need one.

I read recently that the US is coming up with some kind of plastic card which can be used to cross the border into Canada---costing less than a passport, but basically serving the same purpose. As of this moment? Proof of US citizenship---either birth certificate and/or a valid driver's license from one of the states, should get you in---getting back in could be problematic.

My advice? Invest in a passport---not that expensive, good for ten years and speed up the process and hey---you never know, you may want to try Brasil or Thailand sometime. Have fun in my favourite city.

I have stayed at 3 of the properties you list.

the Chateau Champlain is a full service Marriott,very large,with very good facilities-but the rooms could use a face lift.

There is an underground mall which connects the metro with the hotel-actually the metro enterance is closer to the hotel than the mall-which is in the train station(garre central)

I had a great stay there and look forward to returning.

The Springhill suites id the newest of the Downtown Marriott offerings,very nice-almost full service property.Large rooms with good sizes baths,a work area and a wet bar with a microwave and a small fridge.I enjoyed my stay here also as it is in old Montreal-but it is a little hike to the metro.

The Downtown Residence Inn is the most basic of the properties-very limited service and the smallest bathroom I have every seen in a hotel.The room does a nice kitchenette which I enjoyed-I love shopping at Jean Talon Market!Metro is across the street.

I would return to any of these properties any time-but my first choice in would be the Chateau and My second would be the Springhill suites(especially in nice weather)Enjoy!

passport requirements

According to the State Department ( http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html ):

"The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States."

The site goes on to list "accepted documents" as new types of border crossing documents they are still working on. It does not include licenses, birth certificates, etc.

Dick

Archived