LaFLEURS-NOT GOOD NEWS

Regina
This topic is 6979 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Listening to my own request I stopped by the bar last evening (Wednesday) to have one (1) drink and go home; I had an early morning and couldn't show up hung over. When I arrived at the bar the gate was down and lights were off. However, it wasn't closed by the city; when the city closes gay bars they post those neon orange signs saying how the establishment has been closed due to the bad influence it brings to the neighborhood, etc. Anyway, no one was around except for a few other patrons hoping to water their holes like I, and had to leave parched.

I called around to discover the afternoon shift had arrived only to discover the locks had been changed on the gate. It appears that the owner of LaFleur's, a man who owns a straight bar around the corner on 9th Avenue between 42nd & 41st had changed the locks because he just didn't want to deal with anything, and never told the employees. People came to work that evening, not knowing they were out of work. No wonder unions are born out of anger!

Anyway...who knows what's going to happen, if anything! If I hear of anything I'll let you know. If you hear of anything, post it on the board. There are plenty of us who enjoyed our time at this little watering hole and hate to see it disappear for good.

It's a shame that now, in New York, if you want a cocktail with your lap dance, you need to be straight! If they're going to change NYC to Disneyland, at least we should get the same weather as Anaheim! :-(

>It's a shame that now, in New York, if you want a cocktail

>with your lap dance, you need to be straight! If they're

>going to change NYC to Disneyland, at least we should get the

>same weather as Anaheim! :-(

Hold out for a giant mouse, too. Oh wait, I forgot, New York already has those.

--EBG

Guest Rendie

MESSAGE FROM JOHN LA FLEUR

Below is copy/paste of message posted by John La Fleur on the MuscleService forums.

Rendie

Dear Friends & Patrons

I wanted to be able to deliver the bad news myself as so there will be no rumors and wild stories being told.

La Fleur's has closed it's doors, this past Tuesday night due to the aggressive behavior of the New York City Police Department. As you all know we have been harassed by the Police Department and the Vice Squad, trying to make out that the bar has been a place of prostitution for over a year.

After many legal battles, all of which we have won against the City of New York. It has become hopeless to remain open and continue these legal battles and harassment from the Police on a daily basis. The City went after Stella's and shut them down last year and Stella's went to court and won. They changed there name to Buddies and the City not wanting to loose there suit, continued to harass and raid Buddies until they closed on their own and reopened as Straight Midtown Piano Bar Named Encore.

Since the closure of Stella's & Buddies the Police Department has turned its full attention and manpower towards La Fleur's, we have been harassed countless times by every Department of the City of New York. Like the old saying goes "You can't fight City Hall".

I was told by The Captain of the Vice Squad that they were not going to stop until either we closed or the City closed us. So, that only left me with the option to close the place myself to save the Liquor Lic. and let my partners reopen as another establishment at a later time.

I wanted to Thank everyone for all the fun we had! To the dancers & performers who graced our stage. It was just magic.

But, who knows I may reopen again somewhere soon and bring a little fun into this boring City.

All The Best,

John La Fleur

RE: MESSAGE FROM JOHN LA FLEUR

Thanks for the Info regarding the Sad Closing of LaFleur's..John.. You will be remembered as the only "Owner" who took the time after the "Register Stopped Ringing" to boither with an explanation,given Personally, to those who called themselves Customer's..We all wish you well, on Possibly in the future, Opening Somewhere-Sometime in NYC! Rumor has it, "Regina" has no where to put her Butt now.FOR AWHILE! Very Sad...LOL :+

>You will be remembered as the only "Owner"

>who took the time after the "Register Stopped Ringing" to

>boither with an explanation,given Personally, to those who

>called themselves Customer's..

Well said. John LaFleur is a true gentleman who wanted his customers to know what really happened. He worked hard to keep his bar open and for that I am thankful. In his mind the customers came first and he was friendly with many of them. I will miss my nights at La Fleurs and wish John the best.

Perhaps Ms. Denise can take a lesson from Sir John on how you keep your faithful followers informed. This way rumors don't become truths.

Its obvious that John has class and integrity when its apparent that many of his colleagues don't.

Sad as it is that these bars and clubs have closed, this IS, after all, New York City, and I'm quite confident that enterprising creativity will ultimately prevail.

When I think of ALl the places that have closed over the years (Plato's Retreat, the Mineshaft, the Garage, etc.) and others that have risen in their place, I feel pretty good that the landscape will change. May take a while, but let's face it.....people can only spend so much time admiring the NYC sites....sooner or later, they are going to need some release (no pun intended).

hd NYC

Its obvious that John has class and integrity when its apparent that many of his colleagues don't.

Sad as it is that these bars and clubs have closed, this IS, after all, New York City, and I'm quite confident that enterprising creativity will ultimately prevail.

When I think of ALl the places that have closed over the years (Plato's Retreat, the Mineshaft, the Garage, etc.) and others that have risen in their place, I feel pretty good that the landscape will change. May take a while, but let's face it.....people can only spend so much time admiring the NYC sites....sooner or later, they are going to need some release (no pun intended).

hd NYC

John La Fleur is a dream; a man of integrity and honor. Thank you for recognizing this and his current pain in losing this battle against the City of New York police department.

And JT, I know one place I can always rest my weary but smooth, tasty hole on...that would be your mouth! :o

Stay tuned; if and when John opens a new bar I'll be the first to tell you!

Archived