how to meet the Gaiety dancers

pierrot
This topic is 7451 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've only been to the Gaiety once, a while ago. The friend I went with told me that you can meet the dancers in the lounge on the side of the "theatre", but that you can't make a straightforward "offer" to them without risking arrest. Can anyone tell me exactly how this works to remain safe from the law? I'm planning to take a friend from Europe this weekend, and I want to be able to explain to him how you can hook up with one of the guys without getting into trouble.

Can you invite the guy to meet you at another place or at another time? What can you propose in terms of a meeting?

Thanks for your help.

>I've only been to the Gaiety once, a while ago. The friend I

>went with told me that you can meet the dancers in the lounge

>on the side of the "theatre", but that you can't make a

>straightforward "offer" to them without risking arrest. Can

>anyone tell me exactly how this works to remain safe from the

>law? I'm planning to take a friend from Europe this weekend,

>and I want to be able to explain to him how you can hook up

>with one of the guys without getting into trouble.

>Can you invite the guy to meet you at another place or at

>another time? What can you propose in terms of a meeting?

>

>Thanks for your help.

First a general caution that would apply anywhere: be tactful and discreet in what you say, and use quiet tones, especially if there is someone you don't know within earshot. It might be best to take the dancer aside to a less populated part of the lounge.

That said, you can talk to the dancer about whatever you want. Certainly to ask about a private, what he does or doesn't do, what his rates are, etc., and you *should* talk about all that before making any arrangements with him. I'm not sure where your remark about "risking arrest" comes from. *He's* not going to arrest you, and if there's nobody else who can hear, how can you be arrested? In fact, you probably don't need to be as careful as that, since I'm not aware of anyone being arrested in the lounge, at least not for a very long time, and that kind of conversation goes on many times per hour every day. But it is good to be cautious and there is no difficulty in speaking to him privately.

The dancers at the Gaiety are basically there *for the purpose of* hooking up. They are certainly *not* there for the token pittance that they are paid by the house or for the few dollars that they get in tips from the stageside patrons. And they are also not there to get another dancing credit on their resumés. Since there is no touching allowed, they do not work the house for more tips after they come off stage the way dancers at bars do. Instead they come out into the lounge (fully dressed), socialize with the patrons, and arrange to get to know some of the patrons better.

They all have rooms in a nearby hotel (usually less than a block away; there are several hotels right there), and they are able to go out to visit their rooms between their appearances onstage. There is no touching or "sexual activity" (as the signs say) allowed in the theater. Depending on you and the dancer, it is possible to visit him in his room between shows, and it is also possible to arrange with him to meet on another day at some mutually convenient time. You can usually also get a phone number and/or email address, which is advisable if you are arranging to meet some other day. (Once you go out, if you want to come back in you will have to pay another admission, even if you come back in with him afterwards.)

Just be sure to find out from him whether he will do what you want, and what the rates are. Some of them are much more interactive and much more open to a variety of activities than others. Also check on the room situation. Sometimes 2 dancers will share a room, which is not much of a problem until they both land a private at the same time.

Enjoy.

Great info and much appreciated. I'm going to be there this weekend also and that question was on my mind, too. Really appreciate the detailed info and suggestions.

Am I correct in "assuming" that the starting price of a private is around $200? Also, since I'll already have a room in the area, would the dancers be willing to come to my place?

>Great info and much appreciated. I'm going to be there this

>weekend also and that question was on my mind, too. Really

>appreciate the detailed info and suggestions.

>

>Am I correct in "assuming" that the starting price of a

>private is around $200? Also, since I'll already have a room

>in the area, would the dancers be willing to come to my

>place?

The price is whatever you can negotiate with him, and the degree of flexibility will depend on how well he has been doing on this trip. Also the price may depend on just what it is that you want to do. $200 seems to be the most common figure that it usually ends up at, though I don't know to what extent that represents the "list price" and to what extent it is a negotiated price. But it's probably the most likely starting price, and will be either firm or negotiable.

As for going to your room, that's obviously up to the individual dancer. If it's a between shows visit he may not want to, since time is limited and you are likely to be farther away from the theater. There is a hotel just across the street, another less than half a block down the street, another across the street and half a block away, etc. They usually get rooms at those so that they are right there on top of the Gaiety for quick access back and forth. If you are "in the area" but a few blocks away, that eats up precious time. On the other hand, if you are in a hotel that's right there, I don't see why he wouldn't want to. By the same reasoning, if you are making an appointment for another day at a time when he is not dancing, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to come to you even if it's a little farther away. But of course it all depends on the guy.

Archived