Laws against strip BARS in SF???

dfw2sfo
This topic is 7412 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just wondering why there are no BARS that regularly feature stripppers (as in most nights of the week) in San Francisco. I moved from Dallas - in the bible belt - and saw much more dancer action there. If I could put together the $$$, I think a dancer bar in SF would make $$$. Anyone with an answer why there aren't any?

P.S. I know about the Nob Hill, the Campus, the Tearoom, etc. but none of these are bars.

It isn't just the SF area. There is a state law about nudity and liquor sales. There are several lawyers who post here and maybe they can be more specific for you.

BTW at least in Northern California you have Nob in Southern California we have nothing.

>It isn't just the SF area. There is a state law about nudity and liquor sales...

You're right about this being a very common law in other areas. I live in Utah and, up until 6 months ago, we had totally nude (straight only) dance establishments that could NOT serve alcohol. The laws for dancers in bars which much stricter and did not allow total nudity.

In addition, there were previously no laws concerning non-alcohol nude dancing in proximity to schools. That law has now changed and most SOBs (sexually oriented businesses) are forced into remote industrial areas.

I'm not sure the origin of prohibiting nudity and alcohol but it's a common practice.

Not to quibble, but I don't recall seeing "nude dancing" in DC since the Chesapeake and Lone Star bars closed. Of course, there are still bars where the boys walk around naked stroking their cocks, but I wouldn't call that "dancing".

Are you allowed to touch/flirt with the boys at WET and the other bars? I believe not allowing this, was the absolute death knell for La Cage.

> but I wouldn't call that "dancing".

Hmmm, OK, you're right. I should have put it in quotes (nude "dancing") :)

>Are you allowed to touch/flirt with the boys at WET and the

>other bars?

I think the un-official rule is that you can touch below the knees or above the waist (I don't know what the "official" rule is).

However, I've been able to get away with a lot more than that at Secrets. The boys at Wet seem to be a lot more finicky about being touched (maybe because Wet has been busted so many times).

...Hoover

Guest TwinkLoverr

>I think DC is the only city in the US that allows completely

>nude dancing at bars that serve alcohol.

>

>...Hoover

Actually there is a club in Providence, Rhode Island, called Saints & Sinners which serves alcohol and has completely nude dancing. Not a bad place, worth checking out if you are in the New England area. There's more info under the Strip Club FAQ.

I would be fine with g strings, underwear, etc. Just some cute guys to ogle, have fun with while having a cocktail. Is that so wrong. I don't need nude necessarily. I just want a bar that regularly features cute guys with almost no clothes on. Investors, please....:p

Will be travelling to Balto the 1st week in December. Would appreciate more info on the Atlantis. Location, does it have a

web site, do strippers produce full erections? Any info will be

greatfully appreciated.:-)

> > It isn't just the SF area. There is a state law about

> > nudity and liquor sales...

>

>You're right about this being a very common law in other

>areas.

>

>I'm not sure the origin of prohibiting nudity and alcohol but

>it's a common practice.

It is a state law or a local law or both in almost all parts of the US.

That's why dancers in bars usually have to keep a G-string or more on, and why in the few places where there is total nudity (like the Gaiety) there is no alcohol, and why some places are organized as "private clubs" (usually with short-term "memberships" sold at the door). Private clubs are usually not subject to the same laws and restrictions as public bars, and in some jurisdictions they can both serve alcohol and have total nudity.

>I think DC is the only city in the US that allows completely

>nude dancing at bars that serve alcohol.

Not "the only," but one of the few.

TwinkLoverr has already mentioned Saints & Sinners in Providence, and mjd has mentioned Atlantis in Baltimore.

Another one is Boxers 'n' Briefs "in" St. Louis (not actually in St. Louis or even in Missouri -- it's across the river in Illinois but in the metro St. Louis area).

>Will be travelling to Balto the 1st week in December. Would

>appreciate more info on the Atlantis. Location, does it have a

>web site, do strippers produce full erections? Any info will be

>greatfully appreciated.:-)

See the Strip Club FAQ in this Forum -- BALTIMORE: Atlantis

>So why no bars that even regularly have dancers in G

>strings?

Cuz -- I think this is correct -- lap dances (of any orientation) are illegal in California. That's right, not only can you not have alcohol and nudity together, you can't have dancer and patron together. There is apparently a CA state law that requires no touching anywhere and a minimum distance of 6 feet between the dancer and any patron at all times. (Maybe that's just in places where alcohol is served.) How many tips do you think the dancers/bar hosts are going to get under those circumstances, and how many guys do you think are going to dance or be bar hosts if they get no tips.

And that's apparently why the places in SF are theaters, not bars.

I've seen/heard this referred to in enough different places that it must be at least based on truth.

>So why no bars that even regularly have dancers in G

>strings?

Cuz -- I think this is correct -- lap dances (of any orientation) are illegal in California. That's right, not only can you not have alcohol and nudity together, you can't have dancer and patron together. There is apparently a CA state law that requires no touching anywhere and a minimum distance of 6 feet between the dancer and any patron at all times. (Maybe that's just in places where alcohol is served.) How many tips do you think the dancers/bar hosts are going to get under those circumstances, and how many guys do you think are going to dance or be bar hosts if they get no tips.

And that's apparently why the places in SF are theaters, not bars.

I've seen/heard this referred to in enough different places that it must be at least based on truth.

>Another one is Boxers 'n' Briefs "in" St. Louis (not actually

>in St. Louis or even in Missouri -- it's across the river in

>Illinois but in the metro St. Louis area).

Yes, I just did a review for Boxers n Briefs last week. Check out the FAQ section above. They dance totally nude and with erections when they get in the mood. :p

>I would be fine with g strings, underwear, etc. Just some

>cute guys to ogle, have fun with while having a cocktail. Is

>that so wrong. I don't need nude necessarily. I just want a

>bar that regularly features cute guys with almost no clothes

>on. Investors, please....:p

If you like Asian guys you could try NTouch on Friday or Saturday night.

Probably not quite what you are looking for but possibly the closest you will get.

http://www.ntouchsf.com

• 2 weeks later...

>>So why no bars that even regularly have dancers in G

>>strings?

>

>Cuz -- I think this is correct -- lap dances (of any

>orientation) are illegal in California. That's right,

>not only can you not have alcohol and nudity together, you

>can't have dancer and patron together. There is apparently a

>CA state law that requires no touching anywhere and a minimum

>distance of 6 feet between the dancer and any patron at all

>times. (Maybe that's just in places where alcohol is served.)

> How many tips do you think the dancers/bar hosts are going to

>get under those circumstances, and how many guys do you think

>are going to dance or be bar hosts if they get no tips.

>

There is no such state law.

The no-lap dance ordinance is a Los Angeles City rule that was recently passed by the City Council (and since there weren't any places that offered such entertainment by men for men, it was aimed at STRAIGHT clubs.)

By the way, Toucans in Palm Springs has strippers that go down to G-strings.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived