San Francisco or Toronto

mmk
This topic is 8168 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning a vacation for either late April or sometime in May and I was originally going to go to SF, but I have never been to Toronto and have heard nothing but wonderful things about that city. I have been to SF before and have been anxious to get back however.

My question is which of the two cities should I go to this spring. I realize that the weather will not be the greatest but it is not the weather I am going for. I know that both are very gay friendly cities so they would both get my vote in that regard. Any advice and or suggestions would be nice.

Also, if you would have a suggestion about lodging that would be nice as well. I really do not want to stay in a Bed and Breakfast - there doesn't appear to be as much privacy as there would in a hotel. (Unless someone could recommend a nice reasonable one with privacy guarenteed where an overnight visitor would not be a problem) If I do go to SF, I was considering staying at Beck's Motor Lodge since a friend of mine says he usually stays there and it is right in the heart of the Castro district. Someplace in either city along that price range would be fine.

Any positive input would be appreciated - Thank!!!

If you have never been to Toronto then you should definitely

give it a try.

It's a very cosmopolitan city with a great gay village centered

around Church Street.

Weather should be OK by late April unless you are very unlucky

and it's a *lot* cheaper than San Francisco, especially with the

current exchange rate.

My favorite place to stay is at the (still relatively new) Marriott

Courtyard on Yonge Street - it's just a block away from the gay

village and very convenient. Unfortunately it looks as if the

prices have gone up to over $200 Canadian - worth checking to see

if you could get a good weekend rate or some kind of special deal.

If you are looking for something cheaper then there is the

Primrose Best Western on Carlton Street which is OK.

There are also several hotels from the Choice Hotel group

in the area - check out http://www.choicehotels.com

As a former SF resident, I vote for Toronto! It is cleaner in general, and more diverse in its gay life. It has strippers and baths. SF is clone city.

I have stayed at the Beck's Motor Lodge. It is passable, especially if cheap beds don't hurt your back. Last month, however, I booked through Priceline and stayed at the Westin St. Francis for $59 a night. Beck's can't beat that!

San Francisco is a great city. I usually find (through travelocity or one of the internet discount companies) a reasonable hotel in the Union Square Area and then take mass transit to the Castro. I like a little more comfort than what the Beck would supply. (I have stayed at the Willows [right next to the Church St. munic station] and Inn on Castro -- the former being very reasonable, but basic; the latter being nice, convenient, and more expensive.) However, if you've already been to San Francisco, Toronto in May might be a little more pleasant. It's an awesome, beautiful city with a great gay scene along Church street. Most any of the hotels along Yonge Street are convenient to Church. Your money probably will go farther in Canada, as well. Toronto is a great, northern american city and should buy high on anyone's list of must see places.

I love Toronto too. The Courtyard usually has better rates than C$200 if you keep a watch on the rates. Helps if you're a AAA member too. They always have weekend deals of C$89. I have been staying at the Delta Chelsea on my last several trips. It's right across the street from Remington's and a short walk to just about anywhere. Weather in April/May should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to both cities. Much prefer Toronto. Cleaner and easier to get around. A lot of action. Must go to Remingtons on Yonge. Hotels that are best are Courtyard on Yonge near College or Primrose at Jarvis and Carleton. Primorse a bit cheaper. Look for specials.

If you do go, let me know. I visit there often.

Archived