Forum topics in different shades of blue

Kevin Slater
This topic is 5885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just noticed today that some of the topics listed in a given forum appear in a slightly darker shade of blue than others (even when you've just marked the entire forum as read). Maybe it's always been that way and I've been obtuse. Anyone know the significance of the darker shade? My best guess is that those are the forums to which you've posted, but the correlation isn't perfect. Maybe hitting the reply button causes the darker shade, whether you actually go through with the posting or not? And oh, it only seems to be the case in Firefox and not IE. Just curious.

Kevin Slater

Pure HTML behavior and rendering.

HTML allows three colors for links: unvisited, active, and visited. Hovering effects add other options, but I don't think those are in use here.

If a thread displays in a dimmed blue, you've visited it since it was last updated. A strong blue means you either haven't clicked it or it has changed since you last visited.

The color you see is up to your browser and how you've configured it to "remember" -- and a good bit depends on how your particular browser itself behaves.

If I leave Firefox running for several days (which I often do), it consistently shows threads I've read as unread. IE seems to go the opposite direction.

When I reboot (because of browser memory leaks), the whole color scheme resets in both.

It's basic HTML behavior. We're just particularly prone to it because the interface is so dependent on it.

Archived