Parallels/Windows Questions

deej
This topic is 6007 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't do Mac, but did Windows in Parallels work before and suddenly stop, or did it never work? (Different conditions!)

If your Windows installation can't "see" the outside world, it's not surprising it can't "see" a serial device. Hosting an operating system in another operating system is sort of asking for this sort of issue. <sigh>

In Windows, try Start->Run, type 'IPCONFIG /RELEASE' (without the quotes) and press enter, and then Start->Run, type 'IPCONFIG /RENEW' (without the quotes) and press enter. See if it improves your lot with IP.

Windows, via Parallels, on my Mac has mysteriously mismatched my IP numbers and now I can't connect to the internet when in Windows (on Parallels on my Mac) Must I reinstall Parallels?

Second Parallels question. It's been a LONG time since I've used Windows so I'm lost. I'm trying to synch my Suunto Watch with a Suunto Windows program. It's connected via a Suunto USB Serial Adapter for 6 & 9-Series. But the Suunto program won't see the watch. Is this a driver issue and if so how do I find the driver? No luck on Suunto site and the adapter did NOT come with a disc. THANKS!

http://www.RodHagen.com

One other thought...

Is this a Mac laptop that you've been sleeping and waking up?

Macs sleep better than Windows. Windows is notorious for not recognizing prior connections when it wakes up from sleep.

You may need to restart Windows to get it to recognize external connections.

No direct experience here, but I noticed on another site a thread by some folks having the same problem with a Garmin GPS device, and the recommended solution was to plug the device into a SERIAL port as opposed to a USB port. The reason was that serial drivers are better behaved and more standardized than USB drivers, and more likely to work with Parallels/Windows. It sounded from your post like you had that option (and maybe already tried it) but, if not, you can try a USB-to-serial adapter from Radio Shack, among others.

An easier solution which may do the trick is to try it without any other USB devices connected to the Mac at the same time.

And one poster got relief only when Garmin released Mac software later in the year.

Good luck!

Archived