DVD-ROM won't play audio tracks

DaninWA
This topic is 6455 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this has to be a Windows XP update problem. The audio stopped working on my DVD player after I received an update from Microsoft. I restored the computer to a previous point and the DVD player worked fine for 2 days. Then I received another automatic update and it stopped working again. So, I restored the computer back to the previous date again and thought that I had stopped the automatic updates, but received another update anyway. I did not install it, but the DVD player has stopped working again.

Tried to download a new driver for the DVD-ROM from the windowsupdate website and received a message that the current driver on my computer is the best choice.

Now what do I do? Please help.

Dan

p.s. Just learned that the computer won't play the audio from youtube.com either.

It sounds ;-) more like an audio driver problem than a DVD driver problem.

DO NOT get drivers from Windows Update. Always go to the manufacturer of your hardware's website for latest drivers.

Another possiblity is security settings. Every Windows update gets more and more secure, but that also means less and less is allowed than before. :-( Both a DVD and a website would be considered external sources and might not be trusted.

Check with your computer mfr. (and possibly the sound card mfr. if it's a separate card) for latest drivers and/or potential conflicts with the latest Windows updates.

Archived