Wireless connections

PacNW
This topic is 6549 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Behind the curve on a couple of technical issues, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm back in the States temporarily and don't want to sign up with an ISP for a short period of time. I have discovered that it is relatively easy with my laptop to log onto other people's (primarily thinking of my neighbors) unsecured wireless networks.

How much am I endangering security on my computer by doing this?

What info about my computer and what I am accessing on it can be seen by the owner of the network or others, as I am using it and historically once I am logged off?

Ethically, to what extent, and from whom, am I stealing?

>How much am I endangering security on my computer by doing

>this?

That depends on how tech savvy your neighbors are (or anyone else also using their bandwidth), and on how well secured your PC is.

>What info about my computer and what I am accessing on it can

>be seen by the owner of the network or others, as I am using

>it and historically once I am logged off?

That depends. Many routers (that's the part you're using) maintain activity logs. Depending on how secured your computer is (see above) they may have full access to your PC and they can certainly "see" you while connected (if they know where to look).

I'm not aware of any laws governing this. Technically, if they're broadcasting an open WIFI hotspot they are by definition inviting you to use it. Unfortunately, most consumer routers ship configured to be as open as they can and users don't know that.

Archived