Removing Bookmarks

LoneStar
This topic is 6829 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Click Start->My Computer

Open your boot drive (c: by default)

Open "Documents and Settings"

Depending on your XP setup, you're either looking for the Owner folder, or the one with your user name. Open that. (Look in both. It won't hurt anything to look.)

Look for and open the folder called Favorites.

Each of your Favorites (bookmarks) will be listed there. Delete at will.

Windows defaults to hiding "system" folders/files from you. You have to turn on "View System Files" in folder options.

Open "My Computer", right click on your C: drive and choose Explore.

In Windows Explorer, choose Tools->Folder Options. On the View tab, turn off "Hide protected/system files" or whatever it's called. Then click "Apply to all folders".

Then go looking again. You MAY have been looking in the wrong favorites folder, or Windows may have been hiding them from you. There will likely be several Favorites folders, and the trick is finding the right one.

IE Favorites (bookmarks) are nothing but .LNK files, just the same as any shortcut you create to a program or picture.

Similar question.

I also have Windows XP and IE6.0. Whenever I clear out my History, Cookies, Temp Internet Files, & Autocomplete Forms. Everything erases except for one web address. If I go to the Address bar and start to type "www.m", it fills in the rest. (it's not this site) It doesn't do it on any other letter or any other website. I've looked in my favorites, it's not there. (cuz my favorites do autofill also). Any ideas?

KevinInSA

I think that stuff is stored in a registry key.

Yup. Looks like HKCU/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/TypedURLs.

You could try clearing that out, but the standard caveat applies: DO NOT MUCK AROUND IN THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. YOU CAN RENDER YOUR PC UNBOOTABLE.

If I was guessing, and I am, I'd guess you surfed to that site logged in as Admin and the value is now saved for all users so clearing YOUR cache doesn't get rid of that one. You might want to try logging in as admin and doing the same cleanup.

Archived