Windows 98 or Me Upgrade

DaninWA
This topic is 8032 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have an old IBM ThinkPad (Pentium 2, 266 mhz, 96 megs RAM. I think that's right). Works great for the things I need to do. I am looking for a Windows 98 or Me Upgrade so that I can add Office XP SBE onto it. I need the Word and Excell programs in particular.

Am I going to have to buy the full Windows XP program? If so, will my laptop support this program?

Thanks,

Dan

Guest bottomboykk

>I have an old IBM ThinkPad (Pentium 2, 266 mhz, 96 megs RAM.

>I think that's right). Works great for the things I need to

>do. I am looking for a Windows 98 or Me Upgrade so that I

>can add Office XP SBE onto it. I need the Word and Excell

>programs in particular.

>

>Am I going to have to buy the full Windows XP program? If

>so, will my laptop support this program?

>

>Thanks,

>Dan

I love XP, and highly recommend it. Do not, I repeat, do not get ME; it's a lousy OS. I recently saw 98 available at CompUSA for purchase, but I'd go ahead and try the XP upgrade ($99 home edition/$199 professional).

Here are the requirements for XP:

[ul]

[li]PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

[li]128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features) [li]1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

[li]Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

[li]CD-ROM or DVD drive

[li]Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device [/ul]

>I have an old IBM ThinkPad (Pentium 2, 266 mhz, 96 megs RAM.

Run might be too strong a word, but XP should walk on that machine fine. I have an old Pentium II notebook w/96 megs of RAM "running" Win2000 Advanced Server. (Don't ask why. :* )

RAM is usually the deciding factor (and enough disk space to install) more than processor speed.

You do know, though, that you don't necesarily need WinXP to run OfficeXP, right? It will "run" on Windows 98, which may (or may not)be a better choice for your older hardware.

>I love XP, and highly recommend it. Do not, I repeat, do

>not get ME; it's a lousy OS.

Like you, I love WinXP and run it on my production machine.

The same machine, though, shipped with WinME which was entirely adequate for the year or so that I used it.

While I agree with you that *any* NT version of Windows will be better than 95/98/ME IN GENERAL, it's often better to go with the lesser OS for lesser hardware.

Just my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Guest sdmuscl4hire

I agree with the DO NOT BUY Windows ME, the program sucks. After a year of fighting error after error I finally upgraded to Windows 2000 so far no problems

Archived