When did the print on this message board turn blurry green?

DaninWA
This topic is 8221 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Daddy-In-Training

You have to clean the fish tank, every now and then or it turns green! So let's start with basics: Do you have "Fresh water" or "Salt Water" screen?

Check connection between computer and monitor, does anything happen when you wiggle the cable at either end?

Does it always happen, or just on occassion?

If you power down the monitor for a period of time (enough to cool) does the behavior get better?

remember any money exchanged is for our time only, we're going to have sex!

-- Daddy

Guest Daddy-In-Training

<Drat> I'm under the weather and deleted your reply by mistake...<Sheese>

But, I refuse to shave my head...but other than that <Evil Grin>

What make, model, and Version of browser are you using?

-- Daddy

• 2 weeks later...

It's odd that you're the only person reporting this.

Please go to Tools/Options and click the "Colors" button. Make sure "Use Windows colors" is checked for text. Most of the non-message text is indeed in a very small font, but it shouldn't be showing up green unless you've diddled with link colors in your browser settings (same dialog).

Do other websites display OK for you?

>Other web sites are fine. I only have the problem on this

>site and only recently. Used to be fine

Did you check the tools/options dialog like I suggested?

The only other thing I can think of is an extreme longshot. The board software hard-codes font name and color on every element of the page. If you don't have that font installed, Windows will do a "best guess" substitution and it isn't very good at guessing. :-(

Make sure you have the font "Verdana" installed.

Also, make sure you're running at higher than 16-colors.

If that's not it, I'm just gonna guess your video driver, video card, or something else is whacked since nobody else is having this problem.

As a sometime web designer myself, this sort of problem intrigues me. I like to chase down those little things that I oughtta avoid. ;) I've tested this on three different computers/monitors running assorted video modes and browsers and can't come anywhere close to the effect you're describing. I don't think this one is the site's fault.

>How do I check how many colors I am running?

Right-click your desktop and choose properties. On the settings tab, there's a "colors" dropdown. Make sure it's set to at least 256 colors, and preferably the highest setting you can get.

Deej,

I tried setting the colors to 256 colors, which is the highest option shown. When I restarted my computer and logged onto this site, the pictures were very grainy and the skin tones were red. Also, the print that was previously green had turned black with parts of each letter missing.

I switched to 32-bit and that has helped. Much of the print is still green, but somewhat sharper. The print is at least legible now. Thanks for your help.

I wonder if there is a problem with my operating program?

Yes, if you can use 32-bit or "true color" you should use those.

I'm at a loss. It isn't a system-wide thing since other sites look fine for you. I suspect there's something you're not telling us because you don't know it's important.

Good luck!

Archived